1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Advice on portable recorder please

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mudpup, Dec 28, 2013.

1. mudpup

mudpup

I need something for recording my bands live gigs and rehearsals. Pref mp3 format so i can use it for a rough demo to get gigs with.
    Narrowed down to either a Tascam DR40 or Roland R05.
    Any preferences out there?
  2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

One of my bandmates has a Zoom H2 that we've been using for years to record all of our rehearsals; it's easy to use and the recording quality is outstanding. I just got myself a Zoom H1 from Amazon at a great sale price, which is even simpler (fewer bells and whistles); supposedly the recording quality is the same as the H2, though I haven't had a chance to test that yet. Both can record to either wav or mp3.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Zoom H1 is the cheapest one that does the job well.

I bought a Boss Micro BR-80 for other reasons (it's an 8 track recorder with lots of effects, programable drums, etc), and like it more than the zoom though. It's flatter and easier to carry around, easier to operate more ergonomic (for me), and the sound quality is better. But it costs a bit more. I sold my Zoom when I got this because I had no use for it any more.
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Zoom H4 here. Sounds great, simple to use. Cheap on the used market.
  5. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

Another Zoom user here, I have the H4n. Great recorder, sounds good, and lots of settings. With the memory card I have in there, I can record something like 55 hours straight in stereo mp3 format.

Here's one I recorded with it at a quick little pickup concert (about an hour and a half of rehearsal time RIGHT before the gig!), in an acoustically horrible room and was only able to put it off to the side by the board behind the main speakers. Not bad, I think. :)

5sg.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014 at 4:08 AM
  6. skwee

skwee

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Zoom H2n for me, been using it for a couple years, before that I had a Zoom H2 that worked just fine too.
  8. ddnidd1

ddnidd1

I'm very satisfied with the DR40. If you haven't already, check out he numerous online reviews of the various recorders.

For instance one common complaint with the H4N is the mics being damaged because there is no cage around them.
  9. groooooove

groooooove

i used to have a yamaha pocketrak. for the simplest room sound stereo recordings, it's as cool as they get. the build-in USB is nice too. it's small and durable.
  10. ghostfather

ghostfather

I got a Zoom H1 and I've been very happy with it.
    I am not good with buttons/settings and the H1 is dead easy.
    Would not want it any more complicated. And the sounds is great.
    Maybe the best $100 I spent this year.
  11. ZenG

ZenG

I originally bought an H2 Zoom.

Not bad at all......depending on how you set it up affects the final recording.

One drawback:- the H2 has no remote.Which leaves you with manually turning it on or using the built -in "Sound Thresh-hold Switch"

I found that the manual turn -on always produces the sound of fingers hitting the button due to the case and the close proximity of fingers to the mikes.

And I didn't like the "Thresh-hold" switch function.

So......

Much later I went and bought the Zoom H2N......it is remote equipped (aaaaaaaahhhh.....good) but you have to buy the remote in an accessory pack......all told it all came to about
    240 bucks or something like that.

They make very good recordings if you get the settings and placement right.

Be aware that this kind of recorder picks up everything it hears.

On one I could hear the keys on my keyboard clicking in the background as I played.
  12. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member