Advice on Rack vs No Rack

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CaptGinyu, Feb 20, 2013.

1. CaptGinyu

CaptGinyu

I finally ordered my ampeg svt610 hlf, partly because you guys gave me alot of good information about it.

I don't have a head yet, and I would like to know if I should get a rack or not. I really want to take care of my gear and I think cooling fans would be nice....

2. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    What amp or amp/pre are you getting? That will make a difference.

3. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Not all heads are rack mountable.

Without knowing what head(s) you are looking at, we don't even know if you need a rack at all :confused:

4. CaptGinyu

CaptGinyu

I've no clue what amp I am getting. If the amp I buy is mountable, would it be a good idea to put it in a rack?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Steve

Steve

Yes it would be a huge+ to put your rack gear in a rack.

As long as you are the one moving it, it doesn't need to be much of a rack. I use a Gator poly rack and for just keeping it all together, keeping debris and liquids away and giving you a place to keep the small stuff...it's really all the case anyone needs.

Now, if you gonna let the stuff out of your sight and supervision or God help it let someone else roadie your gear...that's an ENTIRELY different level of rack.

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Racks cost a little money to buy, add space and weight to your rig, but they offer protection and potentially convenience if you have other items consolidated into one portable unit.

Both my heads are racked.

8. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club! Supporting Member

+1. If you're doing all the load in yourself and transporting the stuff in your own vehicle, minimal works just fine. Exposed knobs and faders get damaged easily even on the front seat of your car. For the new lighter heads, a rack bag with shoulder strap is a great option if you are doing all the moving. So protection is the major reason to rack a bass head. If you're gonna hand it to a road crew, you'd better consider some of the shock-mounted stuff (I've never needed this ever).

Since you're not sure what you are going to drive your 610 with, the other reason to get a rack is if you go with separate pre/power amps, or if you think you might add extra "stuff" into a rack case with your amp (e.g. strobe tuner, wireless receiver, power conditioner, etc.). You can also add accessory drawers to the rack enclosures.

Final word: if you don't need everything to look brand new, significant savings can be had by finding used racks. For what they are, rack enclosures are pretty expensive. Currently I have 3 rack-mounted heads that see regular use. One lives at the rehearsal space and is never moved, so no rack. The other two are in SKB-type thermoplastic enclosures with lids on both ends. You can't drop or throw these around, but it allows you to stack and slide them with other gear and have zero fears of shearing off knobs, etc. It also gives you a handle; carrying a rack-mounted head that isn't in a case is a PIA and you're just tempting fate with your exposed knobs.

--Steve

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

It depends on the head IMO. A GK MB200 is rack mountable, but I don't see much of a reason to rack it when it practically fits in your pocket.

I find that racks adds unnecessary weight and size for the most part.

10. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club! Supporting Member

^Yes. Obvious exception for micro heads, which fit in your gig bag.

11. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    I love a good rack.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      226.8 KB
      Views:
  12. ccouch7

ccouch7

Me too!
    [​IMG]

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would still use one if I had stuff that required it, but only under protest because I grew to hate the look.

14. creis2

creis2

Unless you have stuff to fill the rack, I don't see a point. I used to have a rack head and a preamp in a 6u case. When I downgraded to a VT Bass, I traded my Ashdown rack head for an Ashdown head within a wooden box.

They're just so darn heavy IMO.

I agree with JimmyM, I think racks are ugly (of the bass amp variety, as for the female kind, that's another story).