Advice on selling a head and cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Psycho, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Psycho

Psycho

Hey all,

I am assuming many of you have bought and sold cabinets and heads used, and was curious about something.

Is it easier to sell the two together, or split them up?

And if you have split them up before, did it take much time/price lowering to sell the other?

I'm going to be downsizing soon, and don't want to be stuck with a big 4x10 sitting around with no way to use it!

Thanks for your time!
  2. IPYF

IPYF

I think that if you've got a head with a matched cab it might be worth selling them as a pair. If they're different brands I'd think about selling them separately.

Set the price based upon how quickly you want to sell the unit versus how much it's actually worth. If you overprice it you will never sell it, but you might get more if you're willing to wait for the right offer.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You will get more selling them individually in most cases.

How quickly they go depends on how in demand your amp/cab are and how appropriately priced are they. Do you want to try and get top dollar or do you want to sell them fast?
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Hedge a bit and don't let the head go without the cab? You don't really want random heads being used on it for testing.
  5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I think you will get more selling them as individual pieces but I think they will sell faster as a pair.
  6. Psycho

Psycho

Thanks for the replies! They're a matching pair, a Genz Benz ShuttleMAX 6.0 with an XB3 4x10 cab.

I'd like to get at least 1K for them, so speed of sale isn't exactly a concern.
  7. klejst

klejst

I would sell as a pair as you mentioned they go together. Most would just buy them together most times to have the complete rig. However if you have someone who is really serious about buying one or the other and offering you what you would want for them then you may choose to split them up.
  8. IPYF

IPYF

Yeah. Sell as a pair in this instance. Offer a deal to take both and higher prices for each piece if sold separately.
  9. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

I'd do the opposite and sell separately with a discount for the taking the pair. No buyer likes to feel he's being punished for only buying what he needs but everyone loves a deal. The subtle psychological differences are important.
  10. IPYF

IPYF

Umm. I'm pretty sure you just suggested the same thing as me?

The price of both separates would be set higher than the price of the pair.

For random example:
    head $600
    cab $600
    set $1000
  11. jeffbonny

Umm I'm pretty sure I made a clear distinction in how it was worded. Sorry you didn't get it.
  12. IPYF

IPYF

Oh. Ok. So you were essentially saying that you would do exactly the same as me only advertise it differently?

That's cool.
  13. jeffbonny

Sure, but where you are talking about a set price for the pair and higher prices for each piece I'm talking about set prices for each piece and a DEAL for the pair. You honestly don't see the psychological difference in selling this way? I've sold a lot of sporting goods over the years and lemme tell ya this this kind of distinction makes a HUGE difference in getting your desired selling price.
  14. IPYF

IPYF

Nah. But that was exactly what I was driving at. You offer an incentive for taking both. I wasn't suggesting that the OP write up an ad like "Buy this as a pair or it'll cost you more". I see cats try that on Gumtree all the time with jargon like "Will separate for a higher price" etc.

Sorry if it was badly worded. In this instance though I'd be surprised if someone didn't pounce on the opportunity to get both those units for $1k.
  15. jeffbonny

Got it.
    Yeah, for $1K he shouldn't have any problems. Him not being in a rush to sell is a plus too.
  16. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

ok jeff, if an outside opinion is asked for...and it clearly hasn't been, i think that's semantics. you said the same thing. you're nitpicking, let's just try to be helpful to the op.

either way, as someone who has sold a ton of gear, jeff and ipyf are giving good advice on this one. remember, the holidays just came through and a lot of people have spent their money and gift cards and such. just be patient, it's a great rig.
  17. jeffbonny

I was being helpful. How you word print advertizing makes THEE difference between selling or not. Commenting from lots of experience. Sorry you don't think it's pertinent. It is.
  18. IPYF

IPYF

No it's fine. We're on the same page here. I probably didn't word my initial response carefully enough. Nothing more needs to be said.
  19. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

ok, but you said the same thing. instead of saying guy "a" is shorter, you said guy "b" is taller. i thought what you posted was more or less implied. maybe i'm just speaking from my experience.

i think if someone wants the rig and it's the right price, they'll get it. it isn't the same posting on craigslist as it is for a guitar center print ad. just my 2 pennies, to each his own. sorry to derail the thread.....
  20. jeffbonny

Different opinions generate discussion.