Advice on setup

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Synthax, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Synthax

Synthax

Hi again everyone , im considering a wired IEM setup and wondered if im on the right pat. Id like the ability to control 2 guitar players and singer separately along with my bass signal. I was looking at the rockon audio tasty blender since it has a limiter built in, i was hoping to use a splitter at the snake similar to one of these
    http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/XLR-Y-Splitter-Cable-1-foot-p/sa-y2.htm
    To catch each signal before it goes to the main mixer. I guess im a little worried it may rob too much signal? Or will this setup work. Just fyi im getting fitted next week for my ears at the audiologist. Thanks for any advice
  2. Keithwah

Keithwah Supporting Member

In a perfect setting, you can do this. In most real world settings, this can lead to hums in your IEM's, the PA, etc due to not sharing a common ground, or by being on opposite electrical phases.

What you need to use is a transformerized mic/line splitter for each microphone or line level source you are splitting between your IEm mixer and the house mixer. Something like a Rapco MS-4, or an ART S8 which is an eight channel mic splitter in the same price range. The Rapco likely has higher quality transformers and it is made in the US.

Each input channel has a ground lift switch (to cure the hums you are creating by tying devices together from different AC circuits or phases or due to nasty electricity. The Art has mic/line pad per channel as well. Actually not a bad piece.

You might get your "budget" splitters to work in a rehearsal environment, but it is at gigs where you will have the most issues. Basically, hear me now or thank me later. But using straight splits will lead to grief at some point. Take that $60 and save it on up for the solution not the band-aid.

Particularly if you are dropping custom mold cash, spend the money on something of this nature and make it worth having spent the extra dollars on a workable splitter. Good luck!
  3. Synthax

Synthax

thanks you so much for the reply, ill look into that route. I would like this to work well , for the long haul with wires. I thought of wireless, but anything ive ever used that was wireless gave me issues so i tend to avoid wireless things (even cell phones lol) just making sense of all the options is the hard part.
  4. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

if you are looking for wired. you can get the shure PSM200 as a hardwired system for approx $200 less than the wireless version.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. robd

robd Supporting Member

you can get the wireless PSM200's used for around $250. I can't magine how cumbersome a wired in-ear would be on stage. YMMV