Advice on TC bass head & cabs from different manufacturers

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sevenfest, Feb 5, 2014.

1. sevenfest

sevenfest

Hi guys,

First time posting here - Firstly I apologise if this is a repost, if it is if you could link the original I'll happily close the thread and move on!

Basically I currently have an Ashdown ABM115 300w 8ohm cab and a TC Electronic BC210 250w 8ohm cab. Up until November I was using an Ashdown MAG600 Evo2 500w head with both cabs and I started having output issues particularly when it was cold - low, distorted output. It wasn't cables or cabs because I plugged another bands head in and had clear, huge output again. I've since sold the head on...

I'm looking at the TC Electronic BH500 as a replacement head. I know it has a single speakon output; apparentely all TC electronic cabs can be linked in series so this isn't an option. I was thinking of using a speakon to the BC210, and then a speakon to jack cable between the BC210 and the ABM115..

I have 2 questions for you guys;

1. - Has anyone had any experience with a similar setup? Basically I've seen similar posts online where TC electronic themselves were very vague on the suitability of other cabs with their heads. Can I do this or will my ABM115 have a big hissy fit if I try and set this up?

2. - I've always wondered if there is an issue with the fact both cabs aren't the same power output. I'm guessing it's probably not optimal but could there be any problems with using 2 cabs with differing power outputs? I mean combined they're 4ohm which should be fine but.. Despite the fact I've been playing for 15 years I definitely don't know everything on the technical side. Could this have caused the issues with my previous head or was it just the Ashdown curse?

Thanks guys, hope the questions aren't too obvious!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

1- wattage ratings on spkr cabs are max thermal capability. Cabs do not produce wattage.
    2- most bass cabs will reach their mechanical limits, long before they reach their thermal limits.
    3- those two cabs will work together, but may not be optimal when paired together. Plenty of info on this site, on this topic.
    4-make sure to test both cabs are in phase, ie: use a 9 volt battery connected to the tip and sleeve of a spkr cable- both cabs spkrs should move in the same direction. If they don't, one cab needs it's 2 wires reversed.

3. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

^this.

The only thing you have to "worry" about in your example is that you need to listen closely to the 210 and not push it as it will take less abuse than the 15. This shouldn't be too much of an issue as I assume you will have the 210 on top and closer to your ears.
    Good luck with the pairing....tell us how it sounds!

4. sevenfest

sevenfest

Well the 2x10 is slightly wider annoyingly so I've had it at the bottom - Might be able to get away with putting it on top though... It sounded pretty nice with my previous head - I use an MXR M80DI+ pedal live and it sounds pretty mean!

Rickenboogie, RE: 4. - So would I plug in both cabs how I want to and put the 9V battery to the end that would normally plug into the head? It's not something I've done before so I'm interested to see it.

Thanks for the help guys,

5. Register to disable this ad