1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Advice on tone, eq setting etc for female singer.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by trackskinz, Nov 29, 2012.

1. trackskinz

trackskinz Supporting Member

This is only my third band, but my first with (2) female singers. Anything I should do differently?

We play a lot of female covers: Pink, Gretchen Wilson, M Etheridge, Stvie Nicks etc

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Mic selection. Most important thing IMO. I have my lady lead on an Audix Om-5. Broad range and clear. We are low stage volume so the Om-5 fit's well. We put several mic's on stands and had her switch while singing. The OM5 was the most complimentary for her.

Another friend uses OM6's and 7's on his 3 front line vocalist gals. His outfit, being sometime 6 pieces gets a little louder on stage so the feedbak rejection characterisitcs of the 7 are a benefit. I personally use the 7 having moved to it from a Sennheiser 421.

I personally like a little soft compression on most voices and as little EQ as I can get away with. So my philosophy could be summed up as, get the signal right at the mic and do as little as possible to it...

The Beta 87 Hh condenser seems to have a following among lady torch singers... No personal experience with it though I would love to try it.

3. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

Live - Solve the 'I can't hear myself' dilemma first.

Work out which freqs help them or make it hard to pitch a note and EQ around that. Each room is different, EQ to compensate for room also.

Using separate monitors and their own send will really help. Spacing them apart gives more definition.

Avoid gtr or bass amps firing directly at them - less bleed, but also they hear themselves better. Move monitor to spot on stage they hear best.

IEM's +/- 'more me' mini-mixers: teach them how to use them well, giving them the skills to be in charge of and able to adjust their own sound. It improves their confidence and enjoyment.