1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Advice on tweeter/crossover

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SSCBA, Jun 8, 2011.

1. SSCBA

SSCBA

Hi, if I want to install a tweeter like this in a 4x10 8ohms:

Selenium ST304-SLF Super Tweeter ABS Housing

Do I need a crossover or only a capacitor? What's the simplest way to install it? what kind of crossover or capacitor value do I need?

If the 4x10 cab is already 8 ohms and also the tweeter, how can I connect the tweeter so the cab remains at 8 ohms.

Thanks and sorry for so much questions
  2. philtoler

philtoler

All three tweeters I tried without a crossover broke. Don't know about a capacitor but I have finally cracked it using an Eminence PX23k5 crossover. Costs a bit but worth every penny. I use it with an 8 ohm bass cab and an 8 ohm Eminence APT150 super tweeter. The crossover maintains the overall impedance at 8 ohms. Works really well for me. There is a dial for blending in tweeter output and there are 2 x speakons and 2 x standard jacks. No breakages so far!
  3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Why did you pick that one? Not saying it's a bad one just why? At least you're asking questions first. The 3500hz 3rd order highpass mentioned in the next should do a good job of protecting it.

WOW. Blew 3 of them before realizing they can't handle middle frequencies let alone lows? You should've been the one asking questions first.
  4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I will. A driver capable of going to 2.5kHz would be much better. Otherwise there's an upper midrange response hole.
  5. SSCBA

SSCBA

Thanks for your answers.

Just picked this one because it's one of the few available at my country. My intention is to let the tweeter reproduce very high frecuencies from the bass, mainy slap. I was thinking to cross it at something like 4 khz, would that be factible/make sense?

Also considered a piezo tweeter and a capacitor, because it's a relatively cheap cab, so I think it isn't worth to spend too much on a expensive tweeter/crossover or a mid range driver (that also wouldn't fit on the cab).

So, it is posible to let a piezo tweeter reproduce frecuencies from 4 khz to above, and let the 10'' speakers reproduce frecencies under 4 khz?

Can I do that only with a piezo tw and a capacitor (something like 4 uF)?

Is too high 4 khz to be heard at all?

Thanks again
  6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Bass extends up to about 8kHz. But it also has content between 2.5kHz, the upper useful limit for tens, and 4kHz. Why would you want to leave that out?
  7. SSCBA

SSCBA

Yes, you are right, but whenever I use graphic euqalizers for bass guitar, I use to like accentuation in higher frecuencies and a bit of scoop in high mids or "low highs" (?).

But I'll try with different frecuencies crossed to the tweeter.

Would different uF value capacitors do the trick for that without having to add a crossover? (being piezo tweeters).

Thanks and congratulations for your cabs btw. I really like your designs.
  8. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    That tweeter needs the protection of at least a 12 dB/octave crossover; a simple series capacitor isn't going to work.

This possible alternative (also by Selenium) can be used with a 2 kHz crossover, according to the spec sheet:

Selenium DT150 Super Tweeter with 4"x4" Horn

I have zero experience with either one.
  9. philtoler

philtoler

that's helpful thanks
  10. Leakim

Leakim

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Only if you have a different crossover for each.
    Crossovers are not an option, they're a necessity. I would not use less than 3rd order. Piezo tweeters require a special crossover that is not available other than from speakerhardware.com, a design that I licensed to them.
    You have much to learn before attempting this. This is a good resource:
    The Speaker Building Bible - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com
  12. SSCBA

SSCBA

Thanks! I'll research before doing anything!