1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Advice...please :help:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_Lucek, May 21, 2011.

1. The_Lucek

The_Lucek

I ma looking for a bass for beginers but that can be used for the next 10 years. Is it beter to have 4 of 5 strings and what bass do you recommend for a cheap price. I have an amplifier. I will
    be used for Metallica still playing. Does it mater if the bass is made for jazz or metall?
    I can buy a tenson deluxe J5 for 180 euro.
    What do you think?

Thank you very much.
  2. UnfortunateTony

UnfortunateTony

What's the best bass for Metal(lica)? :bag:

In all seriousness, just go to a music store and play basses until you find one you like. There's no such thing as a bass made for (insert genre here).
  3. Labi

Labi

I would suggest a Squier 4 string bass. Never heard of Tenson tho'
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

It's alot like buying a pair of shoes. You want to try them on first. Same thing here. Everyday, someone wants the TB community to make this choice for them, and always it's the same. You must go out and play with as many basses as you have available, and try them all on, before making a decision. All anyone here can do is tell you what works for *them*.
  5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Look at the sticky for the "best bass for metal" info. The short answer is that there is no such thing and most folks are sick of hearing the question.

There is no one tone that is right for all metal songs - some metal bassists use a jazz, some use a P, some use a Stingray, etc etc. The real question is what characteristics YOU want in a bass -- slim or chunky neck, active or passive electronics, heavy and solid or light and airy, thumpy tone or growly tone, long, standard, or short-scale?

My normal advice to a beginner is just to get something cheap but serviceable and that you like the look and feel of to start, because you won't really understand all the differences until you've been playing a while. Squiers and SXs, or anything used, are the usual candidates here. Learn to play it properly while reading lots of TB and doing research and trying stuff out in stores, save up your money, and buy the perfect bass a year or so from now.