1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Advice please! (interface related)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JACink, Feb 6, 2013.

1. JACink

JACink

Hi Guys (and gals)!

I have finally moved and I am in the process of adapting my setup to my new practice/work/office space!

Until now, I have used a mixer with a built in USB interface, but in my new setup it will be slightly different.

My setup is as follows:

All sources (bass, guitar, keyboard, mics etc) run into a Yamaha mixer (through DI's when neccessary). From the mixer I have various outputs going to different amps, monitors etc, and a L + R going to another mixer that controls the inputs/outputs to the rest of the house etc.

I would like to add an interface into the equation, but I have realised that I am really out of touch!

I was thinking that I would like to hace a permanent L+R running to the interface connected via USB to the PC (running Win7) but also have an extra input for plugging in bass etc directly, without having to change connectors.

I was looking at the M-Audio Mobilpre MKII, which has a switch to choose between the rear inputs and the front inputs, but I have read on various occasions that M-Audio "aint what it used to be!"

I also liked the Yamaha Audiogram, but read also that the direct monitoring is hard wired, so you always get a clean signal (not that I usually use effects, but who knows!)

I am now looking at the Focusrite Scarlett 212, which only has 2 inputs.

So now, my questions to (you) the experts!

:help: Is there anything negative about running the instruments through the mixer before the interface, or would direct be better?

:help: If I were to use aux sends to the interface, instead of the outputs, I could choose which channel I wanted to assign to each input. Is this a good or bad idea?

:help: What are your opinions on the Scarlett?

:help: Better alternatives?

Thanks to all for any input you may have!!

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

3. JACink

JACink

Maybe my OP was too long (I do that a lot!) but a USB mixer is what I used before, but I would like to use my analog desk with an interface.

Thanks though!

4. JACink

JACink

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

7. My name is Mudd

My name is Mudd

Akai EIE...$140 or so from Amazon for the 16-bit version (which I have); there's also a 24-bit version for around $100 more.

I've only had mine for a couple of weeks, but so far I LOVE it!

8. sammyp

sammyp

Toss all your mixer stuff in the closet and get the Scarlett 18i lol!

It's packed for $300!