Advice Please?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by WowSuchPunx, Feb 17, 2014.

1. WowSuchPunx

WowSuchPunx

Hey everyone, I need some advice. The backup guitar player in my band is just so atrociously terrible, like seriously, its bad. He can't even play a power chord. He takes no time to practice ever and just wants to show off to girls that he's in a band. He's a really close friend and I don't want to kick him out. Can someone please tell me what to do. I'm really conflicted.
  2. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    If he sucks, kick him out. It's either that or let him embarrass the band as a whole. He'll probably take it personal. All you can do is assure him that it's not and spell out the reasons he has to go. He'll either be an adult about it (understand and learn from it) or he won't. That's not really your problem.

(Yes. I've done this very thing. I've also had it done to me.)
  3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

You need more musically serious friends. No posers. No pretend guitar playing.
    Record your practice and let him hear for himself just how bad he is. He will:

a) Get serious about his playing
    b) Get embarrassed enough to quit on his own

If this wont work you must rid him from the band
  4. bagpipeswest

bagpipeswest

When I answered an add to join a band I didn't know how to play. I learned the bass from the Guitar player. But I also practice alot. If you want to spend the time to help him play and if you think he has got it in him to achieve it, then do so. have long intense practices just to two of you. make him work. If there is no constant improvement then out he goes.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

Do girls really still care about guys in a band?
  7. WowSuchPunx

WowSuchPunx

No haha. But he thinks they do.
  8. WowSuchPunx

WowSuchPunx

I completely agree, our lead guitar player is phenomenal. And, not to pat myself on the back, am I pretty good bass player. We've done recordings of practice and he seems to not even notice his inability to play. I don't want to get rid of him, but I'm afraid I might have to.
  9. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

We just fired one of our guitarists and it wasn't easy. He's a great guy, but the reality was he wasn't helping. We played gig without him and it was tighter than with him. In the end, we just had to decide if it was worth paying him to add nothing to the band. You might want to record yourselves and play it back. If he's really that bad and he's a friend, he'll do the right thing and quit.
  10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Rhythm guitar has a skillset of its own. Few really excel at it. The rest are failed lead guitards.
  11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Call a band meeting and level with him...and make sure that the others in the band are well advised before you have the meeting. The bottom line is that he needs to get better or you need a replacement.
  12. fmoore200

fmoore200

Let him "play" unplugged?

Or make him pay to play :cool:
  13. mellowinman

mellowinman Not a Clique Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No one who sucks and won't practice is a good friend.
  14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Yes and believe it or not they care about what kind of car you drive. I would get another guitarist and let your friend do a few rifts that aren't difficult even turn his amp down some there's room for everyone in a band.
  15. mcnach

mcnach

:eek:

Maybe in a BAD band...
  16. WowSuchPunx

WowSuchPunx

We considered pulling a Sid Vicious on him actually haha .
  17. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Why would you want someone who can't play in your band?