Advice please :)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jellejanssen, Nov 22, 2012.

1. jellejanssen

jellejanssen

Hi there,

Yesterday, a drummer came along to jam a little bit because we need a drummer for our band.

But sadly I didn't have a good feeling with him as drummer (this might sound a little rude). He looked like he didn't care, so I dont know if he really wants to be our drummer.

Any advice on what to do?
    Should we look further for another drummer or just try playing with him?

Thanks!
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    How was his drumming? He may have been nervous or a little uncomfortable because he hasn't played with your band before. I would bring him back but also audition other drummers as well.
  3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

He may have also been tired or not feeling well. We've all been there. If his playing was decent, give him another shot and see if it's better.
  4. jellejanssen

jellejanssen

Thanks alot for the advice guys!
    I will give him another shot :D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oniman7

oniman7

I would gently bring it up at the next practice. Maybe he's got an illness or some kind of stress on his mind and that was taking away from his concentration. Maybe he was having great fun and doesn't show it. Hell, I thought my old guitarist hated me for 6 months or so until he drove me home one day and bought me a frozen strawberry lemonade from McDonald's just because he thought they were awesome and I should try one. And that was 3 years after I had had classes with him. Turns out he was just weird about things like that.
  7. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    There's this one drummer, goes by the name of Neil Peart who always looks like he doesn't really care.

Some people just have personalities that don't show a lot of emotion or enthusiasm. These people are often slightly annoyed by people who think that sort of thing is important.

You want to know what a person like that is thinking... You ask them. Be prepared for honesty though.
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Have look at some "bass face" pics and count yourself lucky he doesn't look like that.

Sometimes when I'm really getting down with it my feet get closer together and I start to sway like a drunken dancer, lord knows what's on my face but probably I'm deadpan. Other times I'm animated. The rest of the time I'm concentrating, good thing there is no camera in my face?

The drummer is working all four limbs. If he's formally trained he won't be flailing about unnecessarily, leaving his facials for your only clue. If he's keen and available to play and hits a groove and doesn't jerk around I could care less what expression he's wearing.
  9. soulman969

soulman969

Good drummers, really good drummers aren't easy to find. Judge with your ears and not with your eyes. Can the guy play his instrument or not? Even if, as some have suggested, it wasn't his best day for whatever reason just ask yourself if you heard anything out of him that suggested he might be what you're looking for.

If so work him out and again and if not move on. Most of the time you have to listen to and play with a half dozen or more before you find the right fit.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    How about asking him if your gig is something he really wants to do? If he says yes, you could say, "Oh, OK. It just didn't seem like you were that interested." Then he can give you his excuse. If he says no, then you can just say, "OK, Cool. We'll keep looking."