Advice re amp choice!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bigggillies, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Bigggillies

Bigggillies

Hey I'm a new user and new player looking for advice!!!

I've played mostly acoustic guitar for many years but have recently taken up playing the bass ( I seen the light!!!) I have a semi acoustic bass which I use with a band and a mex fender p bass delux with a pbass and jazz pick up in it!!

The tone is great through my small Roland cube and the studio ashdown andampeg!! I'm looking to pick up an amp to practice and gig with for around £175! So looking for advice on what amps to look at and stay away from! What sort of watt would carry over the band in studio and gigs ( 6 piece with full loud kit and loud drummer! Mostly blues music)

Been looking 2nd hand but nothing really meets what I'm needing at my price! The thomman site is where is mostly where I'm looking just now!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    A 6 piece with a loud drummer? I don't think you'll find anything adequate at £175, even used. :meh:

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 In your situation, you'll need to be looking for an amp in the 300-=500 watt range, with more being better. And the important part of the rig is the spkr cab, which needs to be as big as you can afford. Think 4x10 or 2x15, a good 2x12, as minimum requirements. The budget will need to increase, and look for used gear too.

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hello and welcome to TB.

Some good advice already posted above and I also think you're going to need a little more coin than just £175, but keep an eye on the TB classified ads. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    How available is peavey gear where you are? In the states, the semi-standard response would be to say look for a tnt 1x15. Enough power to jam with other musicians and handle gigs. They were also built to last, and they have. Where are you located? Just about any 1x15 combo amp with 150+ watts power rating should get you pretty far, but the 300-500 minimum suggestion for power rating would be better. maybe an old "combo 300" if you can find one. that's a 1x15 combo that will accept a 4 ohm cab as an add on, meaning you aren't just limited to 8 ohm cabs to add cone volume; so enter 2x15, 6 and 8x10, and 2x12 cabs into future possibilities.

7. Bigggillies

Bigggillies

Thanks guys!! I spend a long time online last night looking and realised pretty quickly I need to up my budget!! I'm in Scotland so we get a good selection of used good amps if you keep a keen eye!!

My next question to follow in from my original is spend more on the head or more in the cab??

This not playing acoustic thing is much more expensive!!!!

8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

First of all you need to make a bass noise. Bass takes power. There is no getting around it. The budget has to come up a little for sure.

Grab up some rig first and then chase tone. A nice pedal can make all the difference down the line.

In the UK there are a ton of Trace amps going cheap. No better bang for your buck. My first 15 years were pedalless.

9. Bigggillies

Bigggillies

Ok so just picked up a nice trace Elliot 1048h cab for a good price from an old friend at a good price!! I'm going to be way over what I intended to spend but I know it will all be worth it!!

Now I'm on the hunt for the head any good recommendations for around the $250-300 mark?

10. Tbone76

Tbone76

I picked up a Hartke LH500 head recently ($350 USD) and have been really happy with it. 350 watts @8ohm, 500 watts @4ohm. Tube preamp, fender style tone controls, bright switch and limiter switch. It's warm and modern at the same time, and I haven't found a bad tone setting yet. I don't know if it's more expensive or readily available where you are, but if it is I'd recommend you check it out.

11. Captain Growly

Captain Growly

Ditto on the Hartke LH500. I've owned one now for about 5 years. Love it! Been wanting to upgrade to the LH1000, but have never had the need, despite playing hard rock at extreme volumes in some instances.

12. Bigggillies

Bigggillies

I'm going to see a second hand haltke 3500 next week hopefully should do the trick! I play through one at the studio so well used to the sounds etc fingers crossed he still has it by the time I go to see it