ADVICE RE: Returning Rental

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by viking power, Dec 18, 2013.

1. viking power

viking power

Hey,

I decided to try weedwhackers on my rental upright bass. To make them fit I adjusted the notches on the bridge and also the slots on the tailpiece. Now, I'd like to return the rental and save up to buy my own bass. Should I try replacing the parts myself? Should I just take it in and be honest about what happened? They will most likely want a fortune to repair in their shop...

Yeah, I realize I'm an idiot. I wanted to start slapping and steel orchestra strings didn't seem to be working for me.

2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Yeah, be straight-up and pay the bill if asked.

3. viking power

viking power

Ah hell, guess I'll just bring it in.

I should add that I'm not looking to be dishonest. I am also not looking to pay $1000 to them to replace parts on a cheap student bass.

Or......I could just go with my original plan...save up and purchase my rental. It just sucks that this same bass is less than half the price if I buy it online...

4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    If you were bringing that rental back to me, I'd rather you told me what you did so that we could correct it as necessary. Its less of a big deal that way.

Its also more likely to keep the store/luthier from giving up on renting instruments. ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. viking power

viking power

Thanks guys. Yeah, this'll save me from any kind of guilty conscious as well. Good point also about not souring the shop on the rental business.

Since we're on the topic - would you say that buying a bass for $3K vs $1.5K is worth it in this case? I know with the rental it's been cared for by pros (until my little tweaks for the weedwhackers anyway) and it's only a few years old. If I buy a new one online for around $1.5K, I would have to setup myself or pay to get it done (cost?). I am very new to this instrument and am open to any advice...

7. frankweir

frankweir

Viking...and I bet you aren't the first one to swap out strings on a rental...