Advice switching from Fender P Bass to 25th anniversary Musicman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NEBADON2000, Dec 2, 2013.

1. NEBADON2000

NEBADON2000 Supporting Member

Hi All, I have a MusicMan 25th Anniversary [Reflex type] Bass on the way. I have used a Fender Passive Precision since 1975 [sold 75 in 1998] then returned to playing in '01 and bought a American Standard Precision. I used a friends Active Jazz a few times in-between 98 an '02 sounded good at first but by end of first set the interesting and cool for a solo BUT un-natural tones started wearing on me. I have always been a simpler is better type. I play with tone off and use a Taurus TD-i Pedal preamp that has great sounding togle switching [Vintage/Modern tube/mix]. and Bass and Treble system that when used does not effect volume. This is run into Roland Active powered 330 watt 115x Bass Cabinet. I have always played in 'Classic Rock' [some blues] Bands [even when songs were new:)] played in all original band from 2002 to 2009. Now I am playing in 80's new wave, pop, 90's alternative and some modern stuff. I also have found by doing sound/listening to other bands in most live club situation's it seems bass sounds like bass with small tone variations to where audience sits [yes some adjust amp as to be boomy/muddy or not cut in mix] my set up with limited control I have sound's okay[ I keep tone much brighter than I like where I stand as to have clarity in notes into club]. ANYWAY now you know some of what I am about, I not saying my biases are correct. I am 59 now and have decided before I retire for good to go outside the box. Hence the MusicMan purchase; I have been thinking of going Active for awhile now and my goal was a Stingray but I saw this used 25th and at a similar price as a used Stingray in same condition and everbody has a Stingray:smug: [plus it has active/passive switch:)] So now I have 4 band EQ, passive switch, series and parallel, 18v preamp. As I said I have kept it simple but I am the type if you give me a 30 band EQ I will stay up for a week checking every combination:( I am asking "What did I just do" and any advice to make the transistion easier. I am hoping to get closer to songs actual tones for stage sound and still cut through mix to be heard by audience, playing mostly small to medium sized clubs PA does only vocals and piano/key's At this point I want to enjoy our stage sound, songs and Bass tone while playing. I also plan on doing some recording both covers and originals and thought an Active bass would help
  2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i would never do such a horrid thing!:(
  3. drTSTingray

drTSTingray

I think you will like the bass and be astonished how versatile the sound is - best to start with the EQ on centre detent and remember a little change is a lot at stage volume.

And a stunning bass - hope you enjoy.
  4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I bought a 'Ray 5 last April after gigging for several years with a Classic '50s P and an AVRI '57 P. I did a three-hour outdoor gig with it in May, then put it back in the case when we resurrected our two-female-vocalists-and percussion (not drums)-bass-rhythm guitar group. We went through two guitar players, then found one with some real electric chops, who could play crisp rhythms instead of the strumedy-strum style of the others. As an experiment I pulled out MusicMan and the rest of the band loved it. The guy I bought mine from has an Anniversary SR5, and when I hear his band, it amazes me that we get such different sounds from very similar instruments.

My babies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. senp5f

senp5f

Well the all important question for ebmm basses is, how many pickups? If you have more than one, you'll get some tasty p like tones in the neck pups.

I switched from a p to a single H sterling. It has the same ceramic pup and series parallel switch. I find I don't like the parallel sound for anything but slap or pick punk. I run mine in series mostly. (Single coil mode sounds a bit like the bridge of a jazz.)

In any case, try plucking up by the neck joint for a warmer sound. Personally, I found the ebmm sound unpleasing on its own, but when I play through an amp it's amazing -- it cuts right through the mix. The first gig I played with the sterling, my girlfriend, who knows nothing about bass sounds, said she could really hear every note clearly for the first time.

Lastly, enjoy the build quality! It's basically almost boutique level but at a factory price.
  6. Orpheus55

Orpheus55 Supporting Member

This is exactly right. I am 62 and bought my Ray at 58. I found, over time, that Stage III flats work best for my instrument; these strings take an edge off the aggressive nature without emasculating its basic grit. YMMV.
  7. NEBADON2000

NEBADON2000 Supporting Member

I hear you Pacojas but it was on my 'Bucket List'.:) I just got it in, looks and built great.
    At first although it sounded pretty good just didn't have tightness, control or definition of notes I was hoping for. Felt and played fantastic But... Thought maybe it was light strings [40/60/80/95] I use Medium light [45/65/80/100] then checked pickup height it was 2/32 and EBMM suggest and factory sets 6/32. Set it to 6/32 and tightness, control, definition and focus locked in. Great listenable and useable tones in both Passive and Active, lighter in weight than P BASS. 11" flatter neck may need some getting used to but I think I am going to like flat radius, has incredibly low action.
  8. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Solid advice right there - I'll just add that I've found EBMMs to work ALOT better for me in series - it seems to calm down the high end a little, and bring out some lows and mids...

- georgestrings