Advice wanted

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TheCatalyst, Jan 13, 2014.

1. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

Hey every one, its been a while since I have posted anything here but I need some professional opinions.

I'm designing a bass for myself and wanted to make a set neck instead of a through body design. The reason why is because I want to see how a solid all bocote body would sound mated with a bubinga neck and I have never done a set neck before and would like to give the idea a try.

I will be using bartolini X4 shape soap bars and there will not be a space where the heel sits under the pickup so there would be a section of wood that would look somewhat out of place to me on a solid bocote body.

The idea that came to me was to route a section of the body out below the surface where the neck pocket will be so I may slide the end of the heel into the slot for more contact and a better joint.

Has anyone seen this done before with a set neck and also, has anyone used bocote as a full body before? What sort of tone would you suspect from an entire body of bocote?

Thanks for the help!
    Semper Fidelis
  2. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Media:
    PRS does this with their guitars, if you are describing what I think you are describing. Check out their youtube videos.
  3. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

I will post a drawing of what I'm talking about tomorrow to explain it a little better...
  4. pfox14

pfox14

Never done that combination of woods on anything. Bocote and bubinga are beautiful woods. Hope it works out for you.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

So... I drew these up in a few minutes so everyone could understand what I was saying a littl better. 1389758436849.jpg
    1389758453587.jpg
    Has anyone here done this or seen this done with a set neck? If so could you let me know so I can research it a bit? If anyone see any thing that might be problematic with the design let mw know so I can try and work out the kinks.
  7. Deep Cat

Media:
    Yup. Paul Reed Smith electric guitars use that construction,
  8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Add the word "tenon" to your search. There are lots of kinds of set necks that utilize various tenon joints. It looks like you have the basic idea, and it would work fine as long as you work out the details and get a good fit.
  9. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

thanks, that helps a lot but I still have not seen how prs is doing this. I have a lot of time to finish the two im working on now until I start this next project but that will help me research. thanks a lot!

Also, has anyone used bocote as a full body wood before?
  10. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The weight probably turns a lot of people off for a solid bocote body.
  11. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

I can understand that.. I make a pretty thin bodied bass though. My last bass was 1 1/4 thick

Thanks for the help sir
  12. Deep Cat

Media:
  13. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

I checked this video out a while ago and I didn't see it. I will have to look again but I am thinking more along the line of using the tenon as a blind dado under the surface of the body for more contact.. if that makes sense.

I'm not the best when it comes to explaining things sometimes
  14. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

If anyone was curious, this is what I was talking about

Attached Files:

15. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Brubaker Guitars...Many of his basses are made that way not the import stuff.
  16. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

Oh ok. Ill have to check that out. I was really excited to start this project to see how it turns out. I've had this idea for years
  17. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

Update on this build

Attached Files:

Remyd likes this.
  18. TheCatalyst

TheCatalyst

And almost done

Attached Files: