Advices needed about DI CountryMan type 85 + M-Audio Delta 44

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bass_Band, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Bass_Band

Bass_Band

Hi Rockers! I'm new to recording. Here's my actual setup: SR5 or P-Bass MIA TO Eden WT300 or LMIII FROM SENDING output to my pedal board and at the end of it my CountryMan85 FROM MIC OUTPUT (of countryman) TO Delta44 jack ΒΌ TO Audacity.

The recording signal is very weak with the P or the SR5 (and if I amplify it with audacity it's audible but not super clean). Am I doing something wrong? I got the 85 cheap it seems not working much this way; is it normal? If I use the DI of the WT-300 at max level the record is somewhat OK but not much. With the DI output of the LMIII the record is really nice! (no need to go at max level)

Thanks in advance!! :bassist:

2. matante

matante

That's all a bit confusing but off the top of my head I'll say that going from the EFFECT SEND jack to your pedal board is probably not the best option. That's a line level signal and is probably too hot for your pedals and the input of the Countryman.

You should probably plug straight into your pedalboard, then into your amp, then go from the amp (use LINE OUT, not effects send) straight into your computer. I don't see the point of an interface if it's not a preamp and it's not going to convert your signal from analog to digital.

I've used Audacity and in my opinion it's horrible. If you can afford all that equipment you should be able to get your hands on a decent starter version of Ableton, Pro Tools, Logic, or whatever. There might be something you're doing wrong with regards to the settings but without actually being there it would be hard to give you advice.

3. A-train

A-train

Unless there is a very specific reason to be plugging into your pedal board you should be going from your Bass to the WT300 or LMIII and from there direct to the board using the DI out not the send. Effects can be added after you've recorded the bass. The only time you should be using the send is for effects and that would be send to the pedal board from the head and return to the head from the pedal board. All of your recording should only be from the DI out of either head.