1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Advise and suggestions please

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wharf_Rat, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Wharf_Rat

Wharf_Rat Supporting Member

I have a Squire VM jazz that I enjoy playing. I recently picked up a Badass II bridge and have decided to upgrade the Squire. Now my questions are what type tuners would be an upgrade? Is it even needed? Also what other options are there for upgrades? Thanks for any help.
  2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

The term "upgrade" is frequently misused, and I think you might be doing just that. The bass you have is a perfectly fine instrument for its class and for what it costs. If something is not working for you and you want to change that thing... cool.

So, what is it about the tuners that's not working for you?

In terms of "options for upgrades"... strings and pickups will probably give you the most bang for your buck in terms of making very audible changes.
  3. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

+1

You should change your tuners only if you have some tuning issues.
  4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Not trying to be rude but it's a Squier. Why would you want to spend money on upgrades? Wouldn't be better to save some money and buy an MIM, MIJ or MIA?
  5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Not necessarily. IMO Squiers are better built than MIM, and only need a pickup upgrade to be a superior instrument.
  6. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he looks Supporting Member

I've seen good Squiers, I've seen terrible ones. If the fretwork and the neck are good, you may want to swap pickups for a better, more defined sound. Bridge and tuners won't change the sound nor improve sustain, provided they are in good condition.

It's always advisable to check the neck to body joint and the mounting of the bridge.
  7. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

I'm always surprised to hear so many VM Jazz owners swapping out pickups for something else. Am I the only person who thinks that the Duncan Designed p'ups sound great?
  8. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he looks Supporting Member

No, but there are pickups out there which may sound even greater :D
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Nope, you have a Squier, not a Squire.

IMO the BA bridge is not an upgrade, just a parts change that forces you to do a new setup and quite possibly to shim the neck if the saddles on the BA bridge are higher than the original bridge. The Fender-style bridge is a good, solid bridge.

Your tuners are fine. As long as you install strings correctly, no change is needed.

Depends on what you consider an upgrade. My advice is to put your favorite strings on it and play it for a few months. If it sounds good, you're done - no changes are needed.

Changing parts because you have an itch is not an "upgrade". It's just changing parts. Save your money until and unless you find an actual problem. If there aren't any, your bass is fine.
  10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Spend the money you would spend on a new set of tuners on a fret job, nut job, and set up. That would be a much bigger upgrade than swapping out tuners.
  11. Wharf_Rat

Wharf_Rat Supporting Member

Thanks all. Much appreciated
  12. Lownote38

Lownote38

I ripped those out the first time I heard them. They might be Duncan Designed, but they don't sound like Duncan's to me!
  13. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

Personally, I'd leave it as stock for a good period of time. Just do a good setup on it, make sure the frets are good, a decent set of strings on there and just play the backside off of it for six months or a year in as many situations as presented.

What may seem like a good "upgrade" on a machine straight out the box, after getting to know the nuances of that machine may be reverse economics and you could end up paying twice to get the thing you could have done to start with.

Once you know the bass, it's quirks, it's strengths and weaknesses any question like this would be a lot easier to answer as instead of going scattergun, you'd know the specific area(s) to focus on.

I know this may sound a little adverse to what you were hoping to get as an answer, but I learnt that through rather costly experience and I'd rather share that and hope you don't spend twice to get it right.
  14. Bobster

Bobster

I didn't care for the Duncan Designed pickups in my maple bodied Squier VM Jazz V. But I put them in an Alder-bodied Squier Affinity Jazz V and they sound great!

Bob