Advise for buying a GK combo

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 4stringsrenough, Dec 26, 2012.

1. 4stringsrenough

4stringsrenough

Already have a gk rb700II & a 410 cab , looking for a smaller rig for smaller gigs . Anyone have any experience with GK combos? Thank you.

2. Tuned

Tuned

Never met a GK combo that was watered down to be cheap. But you could just get a small cab for your head.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 a good 1x12 box would do just fine, for le$$.

4. 4stringsrenough

4stringsrenough

Ya I like that idea . I wonder if there would be much difference between a 12 or a 15?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Depends on the particular cab, but in general, bigger equals more volume.

7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yes, I have and like the GK MB115 combo bass amps.

8. walldaja

walldaja

I have a MB115 and really like it plus it's half the weight of most 15" combos. You may be able to save a ton on the older model too!

9. skwee

skwee

I love my tiny MB112. 200W, The direct out makes it awesome, and I've never turned it up past 5. I would like the limiter that the 15 has, but I'd never use the horn.

10. 4stringsrenough

4stringsrenough

Ok so you have the gk 115 combo and............?

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Personally, I'd vote MB500 or MBFusion500, and a Neo 112 or 115.
    I think the RB series heads are nice, but, "big," and I've never really been a combo fan as that's all you can use them for, whereas components have multiple uses.

ymmv.

12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I’m not sure what you want to know - I have a bunch of amps, but I like the GK MB115 bass combo amp because it’s small, sounds great and it only weighs 35lbs so I can load in, setup, and load out with in minutes (really fast) - I plug my bass straight into the amp (no effects stomp boxes, etc) so I can load in/out in just one trip. I also recommend getting padded covers for any and all of the newer lightweight amps/cabs.

13. 4stringsrenough

4stringsrenough

Thanks for all the advice guys you all seem to be cool!

14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

15. heynorm

heynorm

I've had the GK MB115 over two years and recently an MB112. Love 'em both for different situations. Super easy load-in, quick set-up. Both sound great. Put 'em together and you've got a fast 400 watter. Ditto on the covers.

16. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

I love my GK MB112. Matter of fact I'm on my second one.

17. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

I've been using a GK MB115 on a tilt-back amp stand for about a year now. We're a 6 piece variety cover group that's playing mostly smaller bar and grill venues and corporate events. (<150 people).

For 90% of the gigs, I'm not in the PA and the GK always carries the room nicely without pushing the master past 12 o'clock. You can hear it in the live demos on our web sites.

For outdoor or larger venues, I have a bunch of larger and much heavier Ampeg stuff that I tote around. Otherwise, it's 2 trips to the car and I'm all loaded in without breaking a sweat! :)

18. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

I've had an MB115 for about 2 years. I really like the tone, and the boost control (not on the 112). I did add rubber feet to keep the bottom from being scuffed. The piezo tweeter can be irritating. It can be switched off, but if you want a little HF extension you have to put up with some hiss and sizzle. Adjustment of the gain and master volume can minimize the hiss, but I eventually replaced the piezo with a decent tweeter - really transforms the tone (which is already great).

+1 for a padded cover.

19. bassdrummer

bassdrummer

My church has a GK MB112 (version 1). Perfect as a stage monitor; we use the DI to go to the house mix. The soundman loves it. No tweeter, which is just fine for us. Super light. We tilt it back on an amp stand. Only $299 new if you go to RMC Audio's website and ask for the discounted price.

I've never used the MB115 but it's very popular. I do have two of the 115MBE speaker cabs which I use with my GK MB Fusion. I also used my GK MB200 with it (sold that amp to pay bills but it was fantastic.) The 115MBE cab is super light and sounds great. Only about 32 pounds. I had the MB212 (version 1) but sold it to pay bills. That was the ultimate combo amp. Unbelievably powerful and super light, just under 40 pounds.

20. joebass777

joebass777

My main rig is an RB 1001-II with a neo 212II. Yesterday I did a gig outdoors using an MB 210 I and it was enough to be heard from over 100 yards away. I had an MBE 115 that I hesitantly left home not knowing if the 210 would be be enough. These combos have a lot of power and the tone I got with it was just as good as what I would get from my rig.

21. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

MB112 - great (surprisingly loud and DI for more)
    GK NEO cabs - 1x12: great; 1x15: great (and small package)

Hard to go wrong with these.