AE210 -vs- CN212

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by g4string, Sep 3, 2013.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

I'm in a speaker shake up now. My rig is a TH500, a Lakland 4494 w/ Barts, and an A Bass Jade. I sold my DB112 pair to fund the Lakland purchase. So now, I'm sort of speaker-less....well sort of. I have a TC112. I use the Thunderchild for rehearsals and 'small' pick up stuff where a grab'n-go is warated.

I've auditioned the CN212 at a local music store. Sounded great with the TH500 using a Lull 4 jazz they had at the shop. Aggressive and tight in all the right places while still maintaining some low end authority. The only hang up is price. $1250 is a lot of scratch for speakers (w/ wife and kids.....no wide/kids, no problem!!)

Was looking at picking up an AE212 locally, but it seems from peer advice, the AE212 ad CN212 more different than same. The AE212 prob wouldn't my tone goals.

So ffwd....been thinking about the AE210. From what I can gather, the AE210 shares some tonal similarities with the EA NL210.....which is prob one of the best sounding cabs I've played through (w/ older powersoft Puma 500).

Guess from what I can remember about the NL210 as was pretty smooth all the up, not bloomy or flubby on the bottom, with a smooth top end. Kinda hoping this is the AE210!!

I dont know if the AE210 can 'grind' like the CN212? Maybe you guys/girls can tell me more about the AE210's tonal characteristics. Additionally, would like to know how the AE210 plays with the Aguilar TH500.

If all else fails, I'll prob end up just getting the CN212. However, I can score 2ea AE210's (prob w/covers) for the cost of 1ea CN212. Or was possibly thinking of mix/matching an AE112 and AE210 as rumor has it that rig sounds good too. Either way, looking for your input to help me make a decision. Thanks!

PS...fwiw, been thinking about trading in the TH500 for a Puma 900. Again, fwiw grain of salt sort of comment.

2. KJung

KJung

I love both those cabs. Of course, the CN212 will massively, utterly, completely, brutally, bury a single AE210. Tonally, they are similar enough that if you like one, you would most likely like the other. The original horizontal version of the AE210 is a bit more aggressive and brighter up top than either the CN212 or the revised vertical AE210, and of course, the low end is much tighter.

Tonally, I think you will be happy. You would need two of the AE210's to keep up with the CN212 in the low end and maximum volume (if two AE210's are going to cost you as much as the CN212... that is a no brainer... get the CN212). If you don't play that loud, the TH500/AE210 (either version) is wonderful. That is my 'small gig rig' of choice.

3. KJung

KJung

Put another way, the AE410, 2 x AE210, 2 x CN112 or the CN212 would be somewhat interchangeable for those who like that 'tight, punchy, articulate' sort of voicing, with the capability of a bit of break-up up top when pushed. The best cost/weight/ max volume ratio goes to the CN212, when looking at 'new price'. Of course, you can get an older AE cab at a nice discount now.

The AE112 x 2 is just a slight step down in absolute volume and punch.

I would have no interest in mixing and matching an AE112 and AE210 myself. Doesn't sound bad, but no real reason to do it that I can see.

4. g4string

Ken,

Majic questionÂ…would 2ea AE210's outperform 1ea CN212?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung

IMO, no, having gigged an AE410 for years, which definitely outperforms the 2 x AE210 by a small amount.

However, two of the original horizontal AE210's would be a bit brighter/grinder, and would not have quite the low end extension of the CN212, which might be a positive. I don't miss my AE410 at all, but would still be quite happy playing it.

I prefer the revised vertical AE210 myself (more even ratio of top end to low end), but they all sound good. The AE210 makes a GREAT small gig cab, so there is a certain advantage to the 2 x AE210 option there. I have a CN212 and an AE210, so I'm covered there also.

Again, if you dug the CN212, you would almost certainly dig the AE210 x 2 (either version). Can't really go wrong there.

Edit: Also, a single AE210 is not that much lighter than the CN212... amazing when you think about it!

7. g4string

Not that the CN212 is a big cab.....but the approx size of a 210 is perfect size for me. One for small/er gigs....two for big/ger gigs. I dig the modular approach.

Last question since I think my mind is made up....which AE210 version is closer to the NL210 voicing IYO? Horz or Vert AE210?

PS....after some thoughts, just thinking I'm a 10's kinda guy. Some of my most fav cabs have all had 10's.

8. KJung

KJung

You should be happy with that. The likelihood of finding two AE210V's is pretty low, since not many were made. I had the NL210(II). Very tight and very bright. Nice cab when they don't blow up;). Each of the versions of the AE210 are a bit different in their own way, but definitely are in that 'tight and bright' tonal universe, so you should be fine with either one. A main difference is way up top, where the NL210 really sizzled. The AE210 is more warm and papercone sounding up there, which for me is a good thing.

I also like the punch of a multi-10 rig, but as you heard in your trial, the CN212 is voiced to make the traditional 410 guys pretty happy!

Good luck. Everything you are considering sounds GREAT with the TH500 IMO and IME.

9. KJung

KJung

Here is a pic of mine side by side. The CN212 is a relatively small 212. The AE210 is a REALLY small 210. Very shallow front to back. Really nice!

[​IMG]

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I bought 2 used AE210s and love them.

I briefly tried a CN212 and it was great sounding and loud as hell.

Personally, I like the ability to leave one cab at my jam space and have one for home practice. For most gigs I bring both cabs. I really like the tight voicing and the low end (or possibly the lack thereof for some). For me, the AE210s cover me for all styles of music and the pair of them can carry most large rooms I play.

You can't go wrong either way but I prefer the modularity even if the CN212 is almost as light as the AE210.

11. Molan

Molan

Another question for Ken,

Have you tried an AE210 with a CN112?

Reason for asking is that I love my V AE210 but sometimes I'd like a bit more punch and volume.

The CN212 just that bit bigger and bulkier as a standalone cab and I love the super-light weight of the 112 variant.

I could see the 112 as a rehearsal cab, 210 for most gigs and then both for larger venues.

Just not sure how they'd combine?

12. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Biggest form factor difference is the depth - 12" for the AE210 vs 15" for the CN212/112.

Some on TB are in the "don't mix and match camp." I'm not - I gigged AE210/AE112 combination, Baer ML112/CN112, and some other things. I thought they worked fine. With an AE210/CN112 combo, you'd need to run the CN112 on the bottom and the AE210 vertical. I lined up the front edges and had zero issues.

13. KJung

KJung

Can't help you there,. Mixing cabs is always unpredictable, and I haven't heard that combination.

14. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

If you have access to the AE212, I would let my own ears be the judge of that. Ken has the best comparo; but, what he has said is the AE is more extended down low, while the CN punches more. At one time he had a video up illustrating. But, my take was that while I agree, the AE is no slouch and really represents a different flavor of good. So, I would not write off the AE on someone else's opinion. Just sayin'. You indeed might come to the conclusion the AE won't work; but maybe not.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Like Ken, I own both the AE210 (mine's the vertical) and the CN212. I agree with Ken's analysis of the tonal similarities. If at all possible, I'd sell one of the kids and buy a CN212 just for the extra volume and punch. If selling the kid won't fly with your bride, then go for the AE210, which is tonally similar but will lack a little of the CN212's oomph. As Ken said, two 210s would be necessary to get performance comparable to the CN212. If you're not doing large venues, you could get one AE210 now and one later. The GK MB200/800 with the AE210 is likewise my small rig of choice.