1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

AER Amp One VS Amp Two

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by audiorep2, Oct 24, 2013.

1. audiorep2

audiorep2 Supporting Member

Has anyone had the opportunity to try both ? I used to have an Amp One , which did not cut it with my Ramirez Baby Bass. The sub sonics were more than it could deal with. Is the Amp Two any better ?
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

From all I can tell, it's a very similar sound with one less channel. McMurray Music had them, and when I tried them out, they sounded similar and were both pretty expensive.

Ric
  3. MR PC

MR PC

Expensive amps, and some interesting designs. They used to offer a 4 x 8" bass amp with four internal power amps. I think it weighed about 75 lbs. Interesting.
  4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

Sounds like an FDeck HPF/Pre could solve your problems.
  5. GeoffBass

GeoffBass

I have the Amp One for EB, and the iDoubler & Berg cab for DB.
    Have not used the Amp Two but have read in some reviews that the Amp One is the pick of these two.
    AER have the BassCube2 (12" coaxial speaker - 500W - mega expensive) for DB (haven't tried that - at A$5.6K who has?).
    You might like the AER 4 x 8" (4 x 50W) BASIC PERFORMER for DB ... I've tried one and thought it worked straight away for my DB with Fishman FC ... I would consider exchanging my Amp One for this model (there is also a powered AER full range speaker called the ASQ8 which is very similar to the Basic Performer ... but without the tone shaping front end, its sounds good too).
    good luck!
  6. audiorep2

audiorep2 Supporting Member

I have just been given the opportunity to buy a demo Basscube 2 for $ 2500.00 .
    I play a Baby bass ( a lot of subsonics ) and some 4 string electric.
    I am VERY tempted.
  7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

Well, you could certainly go that direction, that a nifty price for an amp that lists for $4,499.00. For that kind of scratch you could pretty much set you self up with a lot of fine quality rigs. If I had your deep pockets. I think I'd go with a Headway EDB-2, Demeter Minnie 800, and one of the new Big E 4x5's or an Audiokinesis TC 112. but that's just me. There's certainly nothing wrong with the Bass Cube. It's just the 44 lbs. that isn't my cup of tea.

Ric
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own an amp one and reviewed the amp three back in BGM #7. The two sound very similar, though I'd say I slightly preferred the amp three. Other than seeing it at NAMM, I have not spent any time with the amp two. IME/IMHO, these can work quite well on DB, though I agree that these amps are probably even better on electric bass.
  9. Jacques

Jacques Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    CEO Ruppert Musical Instruments
    I have the chance to have played all three, the amp one and the amp three are the best models, the amp one sounds pretty vintage, the amp three sounds more modern. I added a tweeter to my Amp one and now it is perfect for me.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice! You'll have to show me pics of your mod sometime. BTW, we talked to Dana B. Goods about reviewing the new pedals we saw at NAMM. Very nice! :cool:
  11. Jacques

Jacques Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    CEO Ruppert Musical Instruments
    Will do and thank you in advance for the review of my new pedals, I am very proud of the Sonic Spark that we developed with the help of Michael Eisenmann the former chief developer for AER (he designed the mod for my Amp One too BTW).

12. jnathanj33

jnathanj33 There are two kinds of music, Good and Bad. Supporting Member

It appears the bass cube II is a viable option? Does any know where in the heck I can purchase one? I'm in the great state of Oklahoma.