1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

aero pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RS, Mar 22, 2001.

1. RS

RS Supporting Member

Anyone have or have played with aero jazz pups? Opinions, comments?

RS
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Haven't had the pleasure to use them, RS, but Matt Pulcinella has been installing them on some of his basses as of summer, last year, and he jokingly recommends NOT getting them because he says they don't need a preamp, (i.e., he has to charge less).

He also says they sound deeper and clearer than P2 Barts w/preamp, don't sound "vintage" because vintage pups usually sound dead, (in his opinion), they are very much alive, hot, but not too hot, "just right."

It's a bitch there isn't some way to try pups out without committing to them, isn't it, (usually).
  3. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

4. Babs

Babs

Hey there RS, I happen to have some AERO instument pickups in my MKB-5 (custom Kinal) They sound great, I have gotten nothing but compliments from them. I have a Bart... pre-amp with them and they are awsome, I did some recording with them and the engineer just loved the tones we were getting out of them. So ya they kick ass. Plus the wooden covers they put on them look cool.
  5. boobinga

boobinga

I had Matt Pulcinella put a set of aeros in the 5-string he built for me. No pre-amp. I think they sound terrific. My bandmates have also commented positively on the sound. I've been able to get a good variety of sounds. Very pleased with the aeros for sure.
  6. Dude

Dude

Disclosures:
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I'm trying a set of Aero's in a custom bass I'm building for Tim Schnautz (AKA: Westport). It will be an Ash body with maple top, Status Graphite neck, Aero pickups, U-Retro onboard preamp and Hipshot tuners and bridge. Here are some photos of the components gathered so far including some shots of the Aero's with the covers removed. I'll let you know how it comes out. I expect it to be a pretty hot bass with the combination of Ash body/graphite neck along with the 1-2 punch of the Aero's with the U-Retro preamp.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=637760&a=12119745
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Does aero only make jazz style pups, or do they also make humbuckers/soapbars?
  8. Dude

Dude

Disclosures:
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass