Aero Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jmceachern36, Nov 27, 2012.

1. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Anyone out there use Aero Pickups? I hear great things about them. I called and spoke to Larry today about his pickups. He was very nice and answered all my questions but he gave me more information than I can handle. Can anyone describe what the difference would be between a PHC (Parallel Hum Cancelling ) and an SHB (Series Hum Bucker) pickup? He gave me a technical answer but I need a "sounds like this" answer. Thanks for any info.
  2. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Supporting The Gold Gold Supporting Member

I can't tell you the differences of any of his PUs, but my first custom 5-string had dual Aero hummers that just kicked a**. Larry made them up with the exact placement and string spacing of my choice.

(FTR, the PUs were awesome, the neck was an absolute joy to play on, but I sold it because I hated the body shape--stupid, stupid, stupid! One of my most regretful regrets).
  3. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    It would probably be better if you tell him what sound you're going for and trust his expertise to help you get there. Not trying to sound snarky, so I hope it doesn't come across that way. Just from past experience when I spec out exactly what I want in a bass it turns out nice. But when I let the custom builder do his thing and use his experience, it turns out phenomenal. But it's hard to give up control if you're a control freak like me. ;-)
  4. jmceachern36

Good idea.
  5. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I've only played a couple basses wit Aero pickups, but they kicked butt.
  6. rimbaud

rimbaud

Don't be to shy to ask him again if you did not understood something :D Larry is a really nice person, sometimes busy but very nice and he'll answer you... even if it may take some days to answer, he'll do it !!

I had to do between him (in Hawaï, by e-mail) and the european dealer (in the Netherlands, by phone) ... as I live in France, all has been ok !!
  7. rimbaud

rimbaud

just there, on Aero's website--> http://www.aeroinstrument.com/options.html

read this too: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/difference-parallel-series-hb-tone-839889/

... and I think you'll get the difference between both options; The fact is: PHC offers more possibilities, cos' you can choose between parallel or single coil, as SHB just let you the series mode.

The CTPS option gets all: series/parallel/single coil as SGD's example: http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/media/Series-Parallel-Single.mp3

I would say that series is punchier than parallel, wich is punchier than single coil.

So the SHB could give the "big" punch", while the PHC let you choose between a punchy parallel mode and a "more passive style" single coil mode.

Correct me if I'm wrong .... :bag:
  8. jmceachern36

I think this is correct. I can ask him. I can understand it at least. Thanks.
  9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It all depends on how the pickup was wound. Parallel is often used if you want to switch the pickup into single coil mode, because the coils were wound hotter to sound good in single coil mode, and in series the pickup would sound like mud.

But if a pickup was designed to be wired up in series, parallel gives a brighter, thinner tone, and the pickup in single coil mode might have lower output.

I have made test pickups wound up to be in series and one in parallel, and could get them to sound almost identical, but the extra wire on the hotter coils gives them a slightly different tone.
  10. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Coming in a little late, but I got my first pair of Aero's not long after Larry offered them for sale. I love 'em! 3 years ago I did another Jazz build and it was a no brainer to get them again.
    Great pickups IMO.
  11. rimbaud

rimbaud

You are certainly clever than me , that's why I prefered asking for eventual correction, and it's welcome from you ;) in fact.?.. yeah... i must recognize I found that your soundclip was revealing a series "punch"> parallel > single coil ... but that's only my ears he !!! :D

And I must say that since I'm a single coil bass player, I do not understand anything about wirings, all I can say is "does it sound good? is it what it's supposed to be ?" :bag:
  12. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Older thread resurrection!!

Does anybody have any clips of Aero pickups? Especially the dual coils or quad coils? I was talking to Aero himself & he was talking about the CTPS pickups that can get all 3... single coil, series & parallel & I'm DYING to hear them.

If no clips, experiences with them? My other option would be the CTSHB which is just dual coils in series & single coil
  13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

My Stambaugh Resonance 5 has one Aero P.U. I cannot elaborate on the tech stuff.
    Chris specs them out directly to Aero as he builds.
    My axe is chambered, solid top, 1 Aero PU and Ghost Piezo PU built into the bridge.
    The Aero on its own is a very full clear sound.