Aerodyne Jazz bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by naaily, Mar 20, 2014.

1. naaily

naaily

Hey everyone!

So I recently ordered a 2013 gold aerodyne jazz bass and it should be arriving soon. However, I am interested in changing out the pickups. I mainly play metal, hard rock, blues and quite a bit of jazz. I was thinking of going for either the DiMarzio dp126's , the quarter pounders, the emg pj hz or the Geezer Butler EMGs. For the aforementioned genres, which pickups would you recommend? Feel free to recommend pickups not already mentioned! (And a bonus question, flats or round-wounds?)

Thanks alot guys! Your help is always appreciated! :bassist:

2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Interesting mix of genres. I'd go with something versatile with a preamp, for me that eliminates the QPers and Dimarzio. Great pickups but they have their own strong voice, may not work with every style. Can't go wrong with Nordstrand or EMGs IMO.

3. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

4. naaily

naaily

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. The thing is, the aerodyne has a very thin body so a preamp may not fit. Also I don't want to be messing around with the electronics more than I have to. Because of that, do you have any other suggestions? If it helps, my main genres are hard rock and jazz. Metal and blues arent a big part of my playing, just a small chunk of it. Thanks again :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

Some pairs to consider:

Dimarzio Area P-J

Fender 62 P - Fender Super 55 J

Seymour Duncan SPB-1 - STK-J2

Geezer Butler EMG P - J

All have hum cancelling J pickups.

I use a Fender TBX tone control and 500k volume pots in PJ and JJ basses for extra clarity if I need it.