1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Aerodyne Neck on MIM Jazz body??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PBassTX, Jan 14, 2013.

1. PBassTX

PBassTX Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Can anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't work? Also, I thought I read somewhere that the Aerodyne actually used a different sized tuning head... any truth to that, or can I use the tuning machines off of the MIM Jazz Neck that's on it now?

Thanks for the help...

2. 4Banger4

4Banger4

Mar 21, 2011
    Indianapolis IN
    Do you just have a spare Areodyne neck laying around you're wanting to put on a MIM?

Just curious if you're disassembling an Areodyne to put the neck on your MIM. I have both a Areodyne Jazz and a MIM but have no idea if they'll fit or the machines are different. Sorry

3. Sponsored by:

4. PBassTX

Jul 27, 2009
    Ft. Worth, TX
    no actually I have a black fretless MIM Jazz that I am converting to a fretted Jazz. I like the way the aerodyne neck looks with no fret markers and black headstock.

5. PBassTX

Jul 27, 2009
    Ft. Worth, TX
    oh...and I do have an aerodyne as well....I love it... It's my workhorse...

6. 4Banger4

4Banger4

Mar 21, 2011
    Indianapolis IN
  7. PBassTX

Jul 27, 2009
    Ft. Worth, TX
    it looks exactly like what I am looking for.....the only problem is, I already have everything I need to build one, I just wanted to get confirmation that it was going to work prior to disassembling the MIM fretless Jazz...

8. hey!!! another ftw guy! i have nothing useful to say, just realized we lived in the same general area.

9. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I have an Aerodyne neck on an American body and an American neck on a Mexican body. So based on that, they should all be the same size. The bushings/holes on the Aerodyne are indeed smaller.

10. PBassTX

Jul 27, 2009
    Ft. Worth, TX
    thanks J79...I just ordered those tuners. I also ordered a black hipshot bridge and black control plate. I guess it would have cost just about the same if I'd just got the Squire Deluxe IV, but I havent been as lucky as most people with the quality on Squire basses. I know it's there because I've played some really nice Squire basses, but it just hasnt been either of the two I've bought. I really wanted them to work, but just couldn't get there.

11. PBassTX

Jul 27, 2009
    Ft. Worth, TX
    hey Matt, I'm actually closer to Keller. I keep following the DFW GTG thread for almost a year and they keep talking about it, but nothing ever comes of it....maybe one day it will actually happen.

12. i'm in sw ftw. i haven't followed it. i'll start lookin' into it!