Affinity vs Ray 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by new_bass, Nov 24, 2012.

1. new_bass

new_bass

Hello everyone,
    I am an entry level bass player (reformed drummer). I am trying to choose between the affinity series and the sterling ray 4 which would be the best playing bass and the best value?
  2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

The Affinity Jazz V is an outstanding value. Haven't played the Sterlings.
  3. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Affinity V is vastly underrated. I also played the SUBs and compared them to the Sterlings.

You really need to play them as they are very different so feel is a factor as well as sound. It wouldnt mean much to recommend. I prefer the Affinity.
  4. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

It's a personal thing. I don't mean they are the same, in fact I mean quite the opposite: they are very different, and depending on how you wish to sound, and what you find more comfortable to play, one may be a much better choice than the other.

If you know somebody who knows basses (or you have a decent working knowledge yourself) the used market may be a good option (you can get a lot more bang per buck).
    New, there are a lot of entry level basses ($0 - $400 or thereabouts). Some of these are awesome - depending on budget you could get a bass that will last a long time. I haven't played the ray but have tried an affinity Jazz in a shop - seemed good.
    Try a few basses, explore budget options - consider your goals, eg. Do I want to spend my entire budget on a bass or should I split it with a good rig? I know a good rig is as important as a good bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

If you want a Music Man style bass, get a Sterling Music Man or an Ibanez ATK, the new SUBs feel pretty cheap, IMO. An Affinity J V would be far, far better in terms of quality.
  7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

+1
  8. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

-1. Affinity's are far from quality basses. The new SBMM Subs are some of the best basses in their price range.
  9. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

If you haven't done so already, learn some scales, song parts or other things to play on bass, so you will be able to play them to compare them. If possible, take a bass player with you when you shop.
  10. jabsys

jabsys

+1, a much closer comparison would be the Squier VM/CV vs Ray4, all good bases, then it just comes down to the tone you want.

Affinity's ok starter basses but are no where near the quality of the VM/CV or Ray4.
  11. jallenbass

Having owned the Affinity Jazz V I can say that that is a blanket statement that is incorrect.
  12. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

There are years and countries of manufacture for the Affinities that makes buying them complicated to a n00b player.

The problem is that an inexperienced bassist won't really know where to look for quality and may very well miss it in a bass that's set up poorly, has dead strings or just needs the required tweaks to make it right.

One may therefor pass a genuine diamond in the rough and never know it. ANY bass can be part of heaven's angelic choir or something out of Dante's Inferno (think: Charlie Daniels or RUSH) for sound, quality and reliability (although that last category somewhat mystifies me as playing a bass is not a contact sport).

Therefor - I sincerely recommend taking someone without a 'jaundiced-eye-to-all-things-Squier' and let him/her help you decide.

You may be fortunate enough to really find an Affinity that more than exceeds your current musical-instrument buying eye. I have one such Affinity that really yet amazes me and a bass teacher that I had in SoCal.

It has a tense internal power that you can just feel in it and possesses a uniqueness that sets it apart from a lot of other basses that I've played.

I cannot explain it - but somehow it just feels like it's all tensed up with a non-definable energy, just waiting to play it's heart out. You might be fortunate enough to find one such animal too.
  13. morewattsplease

morewattsplease

+ 100000000000
    to whomever said take a bass player with you
    or wrangle a fellow bass customer at the store to help you...I know if I was there I'd love to help someone spend money.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I can't speak about the fours, but the fives are very nice. I have owned a few and they had good fretwork and could take a really nice set up. The pickups are not as nice as more expensive basses, but that is an easy fix for a very inexpensive bass.
  15. jallenbass

The biggest quality issue I find with any Squier that I play is what's standing/sitting behind it.