Affordable bass to pick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by recode, Sep 10, 2013.

1. recode

recode

Hi guys. I want to pick an affordable 4 string bass, brand new, price range 300 - 400 euro.
    This is my list in that price range:
    1) Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass (maple body, maple neck and fretboard)
    2) Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray (hardwood body, malpe neck and fretboard)
    3) Ibanez ATK 200 (ash body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard)
    4) Spector Performer (basswood body, flamed maple top, maple neck, rosewood fretboard)
    5)Warwick Streamer Rock Bass (carolena body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard)
    Any other suggestion are also welcome! Please, help me to decide, i love tone of all this basses, but maybe anyone knows wich one is better or more reliable?
  2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

VM Jazz has a maple body? On that list I've tried the SUB and it's a great little bass.
  3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    All good.
    But the Squier stuff has a TON of standard Fender spec components available should you want to upgrade in the future.
  4. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

Check the back of the headstocks. These days, most basses in that price range are coming from Cortech's factories in Indonesia, so the woodwork, finish quality, etc., are remarkably consistent.

Reliability would be more of a concern with Chinese-made models, as there are so many different factories and so much counterfitting going on over there. Chinese stuff has to be taken on a case-by-case basis, as they make everything from junk to jewels over there.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition Supporting Member

When I was in Beijing about 6 years ago, our tour guide said to look out for the fake fakes. She said the real fakes were better.

No, I never did figure out how to tell fake fakes from real fakes.
  7. recode

recode

Yeah there is 3 versions of VM: agathis body, basswood body and maple body (this one looks like Marcus Miller's bass).
  8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Ibanez soundgear basses would be a good choice for an affodable bass guitar. another good choice would be the schecter stiletto basses.