Affordable short-scale (semi)hollowbody bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MOTORHEADBANGER, May 29, 2011.

1. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a Real Tomato Supporting Member

Hi,
    I'm looking for a hollowbody or semi-hollowbody bass, preferably 30 inch scale, to use as a piccolo bass. I really like that smooth jazz guitar sound that can be achieved with this kind of setup. A good reference to this tone would be Brian Bromberg's album "It Is What It Is." I have narrowed it down, I think, to a few choices, but I was wondering on everyone else's input as well.

Here's a few of the basses:

Ibanez ABG200:
    [​IMG]

Ibanez AFB200:
    [​IMG]

Italia Torino:
    [​IMG]

Here's a clip of a hollow-body piccolo bass in action:
    YouTube - ‪Brian Bromberg - "Martinis At The Velvet Lounge" From New CD on Mack Avenue Records‬‏
  2. Kinetic Monkey

Kinetic Monkey

A friend at church plays the Ibanez ABG200, its a nice enough bass, quite thumpy, but it's pretty uncomfortable to play - I don't really like the neck and the way the body is weighted leaves it feeling quite bulky (that said I play soundgears and warwicks most of the time). Also, it's only really got the bassy thumpy muffled sound that it excels at - there's no variety with the instrument. that said, if that's the sound you want, it does it well.
  3. nocontrols

nocontrols

I don't know anything about the Torino but Ibanez is almost always a good buy and those basses in particular are tempting.

Also, this topic has been done... check out this thread for more help:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/cool-hollowbodies-under-$750-767761/
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Check out the Epiphone Allen Woody.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AmpegB15

AmpegB15

I had the Ibanez AGB200 for a few months. It looked beautiful, but the action was difficult to adjust to my taste (low) because the the bridge (like many hollowbodies) was not very adjustable and the truss rod was installed crooked so I never could get the neck right. I also felt that, despite its short scale, the bass just felt big and the reach to the first frets on the neck was not as good as other short scales. I sold it after a few months.

Haven't tried one, but the Hofner club basses, or even the basic violin basses, may be a good option. I have a Jay Turser Hofner copy, which I think is built very well and sounds great.

I have a DeArmond Starfire hollowbody which is wonderful, but those were discontinued years ago and would be available only on the used market, but could be cheap since they were blown out at great prices when they were discontinued.
  7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13. Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    There's also the Eastwood Classic 4:
    [​IMG]

Or for something a little funkier, the Eastwood Airline Map Bass has a semi-hollow construction:
    [​IMG]
  8. MOTORHEADBANGER

The Eastwood Classic looks nice. Very reminiscent of a Gretch Country Gentleman.
  9. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

I played an italia 12string guitar (I just learned "wish you were here" so I had to try it out), and based on that guitar... you prolly cant go wrong with italia.
  10. billy57

billy57

Turock-pm
  11. PhiDeck

PhiDeck

12. Avalon

Avalon

13. MOTORHEADBANGER

Yes, but they are becoming harder to find, and I have heard some negative things about them (crappy pickups, no output, a lot of feedback, etc.)