1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Affordable wireless in ear system?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by atracksler, Feb 1, 2014.

1. atracksler

atracksler Supporting Member

Looking for an affordable wireless in ear solution. I have earphones that I like (westone sm2). Just looking to cut the cord, so to speak.
  2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

This seems a fair question. My band has decided to go this route as well but it looks like it will be an expensive project.

Most reviews I've read here say to avoid the Shure 200 or 215 entry level, as well as the AT H2 or Senneheiser G2 to avoid dropouts. That leaves the G3 at $833 dollars with one pack or $1,089 with 2.

Now on to custom in-ear moniters (CIEM), either approximately $550 for 1964 V4s or $700 for Future Sonics + $50 to $150 for ear molds.

Even the drummer with a Rolls 351 for $80 plus good IEMs doesn't get off easy cuz now he needs a microphone to communicate.

The band as a whole is at the $4,000 + and counting to do it right!

Even if the guitarists share a 2 pack G3, I will want my own to get a more me bass mix so I need my own, and it appears used ones are hard to come by. BTW, I come from the spend $ and cry once camp.

So again, the original post poses a fair question.
  3. cableguy

cableguy

I've never used this model, but I'm looking into them myself. Seems like a decent system, and I've had good luck with my other carvin gear. My some TBers have tried these.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/EM900
  4. BGeetr169

BGeetr169 Supporting Member

Check out the Mipro 808. High quality and no problems. I use Shure Se425 with it.
  5. Thumper

Nice price, does it have 2 inputs (for mixing board aux and a bass DI inputs) , a limiter, plus stereo output?
  6. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey Supporting Member

I am torn between the Carvin EM900 and the AT M2 setup. I will be using them as IEM and also for sending signals to powered speakers.
  7. pickbass

pickbass

I have the Carvin EM900 system. The transmitter, reciever and earbuds are all shockingly good for the price. I have never had a dropout or had a problem with noise and though the earbuds are single driver they do surprisingly well on low end.
  8. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

+1 on the Carvin, although I never even unwrapped the Carvin earbuds.
  9. Thumper

Great Carvin reviews from here and the Carvin site, any naysayers?
  10. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Supporting Member

No experience with current Carvins. The older model was a rebadged Nady unit, which my guitar player had as his first set, and they were terrible. As always I will say look at Shure PSM200's. I have roughly 6 years and hundreds of gigs on mine, works every time all the time. Good sound quality as long as you stay out of the hard limiters...which you shouldn't be hitting anyway if you value your hearing.
  11. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Carvin makes a very nice one. Not too expensive. I use them all the time.
  12. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I believe the warranty is short - no more than 90 days, or less.

P.S. I stand corrected. I just called to confirm and the warranty is one year. When I inquired about this last fall it was short -- my recollection is 30 days, maybe 90 at the most. So this is a positive change if you're willing to go with Carvin. I've had issues with several of their electronics products so the warranty is a big deal to me.
  13. morgansterne

morgansterne

Been cautioning people about this cheapo system as there's not a lot of info around about it. I use it in one band where I play keys but for bass the latency is too much. Sound quality is excellent though!
    See this wii audiolink system thread.
  14. Thumper

Pretty much got it narrowed down to Carvin at $400 and Sennheiser at $800. Both have limiters, stereo, 2 inputs, etc. The Carvin may have better ear buds (better for the month or so to get CIEMs), the G3 has 5 band EQ and some better specs I don't really understand. Will have to download and post.

The big question is the G3 worth double the price for an every other weekend (at best) bar band?
  15. atracksler

atracksler Supporting Member

I found a Wi at GC, should be here in a few days… I'll see how it goes..
  16. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Why don't you buy both, try 'em out, then tell us which one you prefer and why? Then return the one you don't like. I hear some people do it all the time with clothes, even after they've worn them once to the special event the were (temporarily) purchased for.
  17. sleepy_monkey

I think I am going to go with the Audio Technica M2 system. Anyone?
  18. Thumper

If I had the CIEMs, I would consider this, but $400 + $800 + $5-800, no matter how short term is a bit much what with a trip to Costa Rica and a re-mortgage coming up :(
  19. Biggbass

Biggbass

I use a Shure PSM600. Bought it 2nd hand at a good price. It's a tough built workhorse
    of a system. Westone 2's for buds.
  20. sleepy_monkey

Went to Costa Rica on my honeymoon. Awesome time!!!