Afro-Cuban, Salsa, Cumbia , etc --- recommend songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bass301, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Bass301

Bass301

Hello ,

What are some very good Afro-Cuban, Salsa, Cumbia, etc style songs from any decade ?

Hopefully including some songs more instrumental than vocal, emphasizing piano rather than lyrics.

Thanks !

Bass301

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Check out the many records by bandleader "Cachao". His "Descarga" (Cuban jam session) series of records are my favorites. He covered a wide range of Afro-Cuban styles, mostly instrumental. His band included many musicians who are legendary on their own, so you can find more similar-quality stuff just by looking up other albums they each played on.

For a piano focus, check out Peruchin.

3. JimK

JimK

A group to check out: Jerry Gonzalez & The Fort Apache Band. They excel at both types of music... Latin and Jazz.

4. fmoore200

fmoore200

Eddie Pamieri has some classic tunes (i.e. 'Vamanos Pa'l Monte' with his brother playing the montuno and soloing on organ) but his album Azucar Pa' Ti is a great fusion Latin jazz album (more Latin than jazz, but the jazz influence is clearly heard - the two trombone arrangements are wonderful)

Check out Larry Harlow, el judío maravilloso, too. He is a Brooklyn born Jewish piano player(hence the nickname ;) ) that fell in love with salsa. A classic tune of his is 'la cartera' also 'silencio' is a personal favorite.

I own the entire Hector Lavoe discography and would recommend it. An album to start with would be 'la comedia'. The tune 'Bandolera' off that album has an extended piano solo, so you would probably enjoy that. Also a classic tune of his would be 'aguanile' its fast and great percussion break. Salseros love dancing that tune! A personal favorite (not for religious reasons) is 'el todo poderoso'

Newer stuff, I like Gilberto Santa Rosa (check out 'la agarro bajando' the bass is crazy on that up tempo burner. There is also a synth solo at the end) and Marc Anthony. While I don't care for him personally, the guy has pipes and a killer band.

I could be here all day, but that should get you going in the salsa direction.

And even though I am of Mexican decent, there wasn't much Cumbia played in my house. We were thoroughly nyrican-ized :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player Supporting Member

The first thing that comes to mind after reading your request is the instrumental track featured in some of the Sonora Ponceña albums. Enrique "Pappo" Lucca is a superb pianist and arranger that has created terrific music. Here's what I'm talking about:

Satin 'N' Lace

Night Love

Homenaje A Tres Grandes Del Teclado

And of course there's the great Ricardo "Richie" Ray:

Sonido Bestial

Overture Medley

Bomba Camará

This song from El Conjunto Clásico has a piano solo that I particularly like (Sonny Bravo on piano):

Olga Y Margara

NG La Banda is a terrific Timba band:

La Bruja

This is a performance not to be missed:

From Within

And I can't avoid mentioning the arrangements made by Norwegian pianist Sverre Indris Joner to some classical works:

Cinco Salsa

Speaking of Cumbia, I can't think of any songs that really stand out from an instrumental standpoint. Cumbia is a very "light" genre made primarily for people to dance, without any high pretensions, and the simpler the better. Colombian Cumbia (which is very different to the Cumbia made in countries like México, for instance) is a very valuable genre from a folkloric standpoint, but again you'll hardly find a Cumbia based on technical prowess or skilled arrangements (unless we are talking of a Latin Jazz adaptation).

Hope you like what you are going to hear from this post. Please let me know if it's what you are looking for or if you want different recommendations. :)

7. jefkritz

jefkritz

Media:
    Albums:
    +1 cachao is the man. i especially like his album 'master session vol 1'.

for more recent stuff, the harlem experiment is pretty awesome. not exactly 'pure' or 'straight' afro-cuban, but it's an interesting contemporary look at the afro-cuban traditions of harlem by some of the greatest musicians from that area.

8. fmoore200

fmoore200

+1

Excellent selections.

I'd like to add that it has been my experience that the most instrumental, "musician-oriented" tunes in the afro Cuban/salsa genre is still meant to keep people moving.

that's the beauty of afro Cuban music - it can be enjoyed by the dancer and musician equally, and there is a lot of interplay between musician and dancer in a live performance.

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player Supporting Member

If you are interested in playing that bassline, I have a video in my channel playing it. Hopefully it will help:

10. fmoore200

fmoore200

Sweet playing dude!

I kept on thinking, "is he gonna go for the slap part at the end?" I'm glad you did!

¡Usted toca el bajo como un profesional! :thumbup:;)