After a long time, a new body shape (build topic)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Triad, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    Hello! After a while I decided I wanted to create a new body shape (even if I already offer more than a dozen)... it wasn't a real "decision", somehow... 'cause when I get an idea for a shape I simply put it on paper and that's it. So a part of my brain decided and I only took care of the rest :p
    Most of the existing body shapes are pretty "strange", as you guys know I'm not into clones or Fender style stuff, this body shape makes no exception. I had in mind the flow of the lines, only had to modify the lower bout a bit. But at the time I was busy with a customer bass so I cut the wings and left them alone for a while. Now that I'm finishing the customer bass, I managed to build the bass around those wings. This is a prototype and personal bass and it's a 4 strings (yeah, I know that a 4 strings isn't what you were expecting!) ;)

Specs:

34" scale
    24 frets
    Macassar fingerboard
    Standard spacing (40mm nut, 19mm spacing at bridge)
    Brown Ash neck
    Sapele Mahogany wings
    1 Ceramic "Firekeeper" humbucker
    Gold hardware

I wanted to go for something simple and good sounding. I made three pairs of wings (Bubinga, Cherry, Mahogany) and couldn't really decide. I named this sucker "Rapace", italian word of "Rapacious".

[​IMG]

I decided to add some detail, like the Padouk headstock on top of the Ash neck. I just love the white/black/red combo!

[​IMG]

Anyway, in a few days I had pretty much the whole bass ready to look at (of course without neck shaping etc.).

[​IMG]

I liked it but... it was missing something. I started thinking I should have made the wings with solid Padouk but wasn't very happy to become red from head to toes... so a nice top was what I needed. Et voila!

[​IMG]

I'm actually sanding a 7 strings bass for a customer but once it's finished I'll go on working on the Rapace. Should look good in the end! :)

2. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

That's beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

3. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Very nice… please send more pictures to hang on my wall

fnord!

4. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Oooh! It's pretty! *drools*
    Subbed!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. M0ses

M0ses

I dig I dig I dig

7. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    Thanx everyone, I don't have other pics of this one since I had to leave it alone to finish a 7 strings... but I'll get back to it in a couple of days, just need the time to take care of the small final details (logo, knobs, nut etc.). :)

This is the 7 I've just finished, in case you're curious :bag:

[​IMG]

8. strangedejavu

strangedejavu Supporting Member

Media:
  9. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    This is where I'm at now: frets leveled and crowned, electronics routing and cover, pickup shell and routing are OK! I need to make the coils and I'll can test-drive it before the sanding stage.
    I've noticed the neck is a bit too big for my taste, I'll scrape it a bit. :D

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

10. blindsagacity

blindsagacity

What do you use to bring your middle section down to the thickness of your wings?

11. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    I can do that in a few different ways: with a small plane, with a router or simply grinding it away. :)

12. blindsagacity

blindsagacity

that's what has always stopped me from going with this style of neck through for a build, I'm worried I won't be able to achieve as flat of a surface on that section as you seem to be able to.

13. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    Don't worry, it's not hard at all. You can always remove the bulk in small passes and use a rule to check the flatness. :)

14. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

A rotary plane like the Wagner safe-t-plane makes bulk removal quick and easy, and then cleaning up with a hand plane, sandpaper, and cabinet scraper is pretty simple.

15. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    I had that thing but never trusted it. It's too big and pillar drills are usually too slow to safely remove bulk.

16. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Yeah, it's a bit intimidating. I just make sure to adjust my drill press to a high speed and take relatively slim layers off.

It would be just as easy I suppose to make a router sled for it.

17. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    I've locked the router on a pillar drill support. :bag:
    Anyway, I've always used a grinder to take off the bulk, it's messy but less dangerous than the "safety" (!) planer. :rolleyes:

18. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    Yesterday I've put it together for a test-drive... I perfectly knew how it was going to sound like and I was right. But ended up having a neck that's definitely too chunky, I'll have to remove a bit of meat from the sides.
    Here it's still rough, sanded with 120grit. Of course it will get wooden knobs.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

19. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nice. Did you need to do any strengthening of the top to make it robust enough, since it's spalted?

Also, are you going to make some knobs out of the same wood as the pickup cover, to pull it more into the design?

20. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    This particular top is only weak in a few points and I'll certainly take care of that before I finish it.
    I'm going to make Padouk knobs for this one... I usually use a different wood for them to create some contrast. :)

21. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    Sorry guys, completely forgot about this topic :chicken:
    SAM_5941.JPG