After a show, why do band memebrs have to run off stage as if they're late?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Nov 20, 2013.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I got the new Rush CA Tour DVd and at the end, it showed Neil PEart running from the drumkit to the backstage area and to a car (bus...IDK)...same with Alex and Geddy. Why is that? And in the DVD it showed an employee of the area commenting on how fast Neil was running compared to Britney Spears.

What's the deal here? Is it because of possible psycho fans waiting to attack them or smth?
  2. LkS

LkS

Man I always wondered the same! :D
    Linkin Park does it too, and I guess many bands do too.

I guess they are cold? :p Cause I mostly seen bands do it after the sunset (?) + they are soaking wet from preforming. Maybe they dont wanna catch a cold :p

I dunno, but I would love to know.
  3. jtroska

jtroska

Probably to beat the crowd out so they don't have to sign a million autographs. Or have fans think they're jerks for denying autographs.
  4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

This. Also, once the audience starts to leave the venue, the parking lots and streets around the place will be JAMMED with traffic for an hour or more... you don't want the tour bus or limo or whatever stuck in that traffic, the band needs to get to their hotel and be ready to head to the next gig the next day. The alternative is to sit around the green room for an hour or two after the show and wait for the traffic to clear out, then leave. Ugh.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus Supporting Member

Probably have to pee.
  7. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

This^
  8. electracoyote

electracoyote

Can't speak for Alex and Geddy so much, but Neil has taken a decidedly "no fan zone" approach. He does not do meet and greets, he does not do autographs and pics, he does his job behind the kit and holes up in safe, fan-free areas (backstage, vehicle, hotel room).

Also, national acts that sell out stadiums and arenas can't just hang around, have a beer, and chat with fans like me and my band at the corner night club. These guys either want to get some sleep or be transported to the next city on the tour, pronto.
  9. knumbskull

knumbskull

Why would they hang around?
  10. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

It probably keeps the bar tab down.
  11. SteveC

SteveC

I think the "meet and greets" are done before the shows these days. The "encores" are planned. When the show is over it's over. They need/want to get to the hotel, bus, plane, whatever and get to where they need to be and rest/sleep. And yes, they probably have to pee.

I don't think negatively of an artist for doing this. The shows over. Time to go home.
  12. electracoyote

electracoyote

Good point.

But, for some artists, there are afterparties.

For other artists, there is "let's get the hell out of here."
  13. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

They gotta get on a bus/plane/van and travel.

It's also a gimmick that leaves the fans wanting more
    and gives the band a bit of mystic.
  14. SteveC

SteveC

Sure. Totally depends on the artist. Geddy admits they've never been party band, even when they toured with KISS

Yep
  15. huckleberry1

huckleberry1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    student
    Back in the 80's I was at an outdoor venue in Dallas & the Rolling Stones were playing. Their limousine came tearing thru the mud as it was raining & almost ran me over...
  16. Stag

Stag

I am understanding what everyone is writing about getting going to the next gig, beating traffic, ect.. those may be good, real, logical reasons, however i still ponder the origional question. Reason being, if those guys are still on stage, 98% of the crowd isn't going to leave? Would you?

What if they play another song?
    What if i miss it?
    Are they done?
    Is there an encore?

The act of "rushing" off stage compared to giving a few waves, then walking off stage at a normal tempo, a majority of fans will still be in the crowd waving back.

Thats my opinion. .02
  17. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    try holding it for 90 minutes after you have had something to drink at the meet and greet :)
  18. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

When the house lights come up,that's usually a pretty good sign the show is over. No need to stay after that.
  19. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

The Amphitheatre they play at here is near my workplace and is a zoo to deal with; takes an hour and a half to get into and about 2 hours to leave. Wouldn't you rather be ahead of all that mess too!
  20. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

That was my thought too because I saw their schedule for their recent tour and it was pretty damn jam packed. After Vancouver they were playing in Portland two days after so I figured the band members and management get there first to look around the city and recharge their batteries while the crew stay behind to tear down and move all the gear back to the buses
  21. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

But they're running off stage. I guess I can understand why though