Aftermarket passive preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basehed, Apr 2, 2014.

1. basehed

basehed

Looking for an aftermarket passive preamp to go into my bass. It was active but I prefer the tone of passive electronics. Now the bridge and neck pickups are wirenutted together into a hardware store toggle killswitch.

I've demoed hundreds of basses and never found an active preamp that I liked.
    Any suggestions for a new preamp?

2. MPU

MPU

There is no such thing as passive preamp. Just find out a jazz bass wiring schematic and wire your bass like that.

3. line6man

line6man

Yeah, preamps are active by definition. Passive would defy the laws of physics.

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

That's awesome, by the way. Totally punk rock.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Yango

Yango

7. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

It's still an oxymoron.

8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

Quoting directly from the link you reference:

Actually, the term "passive preamp" is slightly misleading. The word preamp or preamplifier is not supposed to be a passive device, as a passive device may not provide amplification. So a better term than passive preamp would be passive volume control or passive control center.

9. line6man

line6man

Those articles are making a point to define preamps differently than they are usually regarded.

You've lost me at "Not having amplification also means that most passive preamps provide no signal buffering between the source and the amp." That's no preamp, in my book.

10. MPU

MPU

11. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    +1

The word "preamp" is short for pre-amplifier; as an amplifier it cannot be passive. The term has usage, but in truth it is an oxymoron.

12. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Pre-amplifier could be interpreted as being whatever is before the amplifier. It doesn't imply that the pre-amplifier component is actually an amplifier itself.

#stiringthepot

:ninja:

:D

13. lz4005

lz4005

Pre-amp as an indicator of location could be that. Pre-amplifier as a noun is not that in any way.

14. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Take in the rest of the post, Chuckles.

15. basehed

basehed

Not sure there's really a noun yet for the circuit that might include a volume, pickup blend, and tone knobs. Some just seem to call it 'electronics'. In stereo hifiland, you can buy a true passive preamp, it'll cost you though.
    I was hoping to not have have to break the soldering iron. Had enough lead fumes.
    If someone sees an active preamp that is known to work well with 2.7kΩ humbuckers and is dead silent, I may convert back.

16. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Any half decent preamp shouldn't be introducing noise, it may be amplifying noise that is already there, particularly if you turn up the high end.

17. DavC

DavC

preamps work with ' passive pickups ' and some work with ' active pickups ' ... Active pups get power from the same source as the preamp .. I have made the mistake of getting the wrong stuff before ... duh ... so sometimes I think when it says Active/Passive Pre , it might be referring to which pick up the unit will work with !? ... ( just a guess )

maybe a Preamp that has an Active/Passive on/off switch of some kind ... that still includes a Passive tone control ..

something like the Sadowsky pre w/VTC .... and I've also installed a Carvin pre that had those options ...

having had a Sadowsky w/VTC ,... it was nice ..

but now I am running my basses all Passive ... Volume/Tone/Volume/Tone ... went ahead an ordered CTS pots w/Sprague caps from Best Bass Gear ... minimal soldering to install ... I recently purchased an outboard preamp pedal , ... if I want/need that sound and extra tone controls ( Eden Bass DI/pre ... it's OK ... I preferred my older previous , but more expensive Tone Hammer pre )

18. Yango

Yango

What ever they want to call it, makes no difference—it's still the same object. I didn't name it or write the article(s).