1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Aftermarket Stingray preamps

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by birminghambass, Jan 14, 2014.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Anybody tried one and care to report? I know East, Nordstrand, and Duncan make one, not really sure which one to go with. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
  3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

I have the East 2 band and it sounds like the real thing to me, at least when I compare it to the new Stingray classic.

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I have the Seymour Duncan but I've never used it, it came with my SD MM replacement pickup.

I have the SGD 2 band pre currently installed in my SR4. It's set up as the high gain option that he does, and I have no complaints on the hardware. It's a very nice pre, but based on current threads and dealings with SGD I couldn't recommend it.

If I were to get new preamp I'd probably look at the Nordstrand or the East as they seem to have what I like in a MM preamp.

6. Couvy

Couvy Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I put a Sadowsky preamp in my SBMM Stingray Classic with a Nordstrand and I haven't looked back. I had an East in there before, but I prefer having the ability to easily find "flat".

7. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Anybody try the Nordstrand 2 band?