AGB bass in a full band?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Sep 29, 2012.

1. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

I just bought a used Ibanez AGB AEB 10 and I'm planning on using it in a Latin Jazz Quartet with a drummer.
    It came with a rubber plug for the sound hole to keep feedback down.I'm hoping it will work. Does anybody here use an ABG in the context of a full band?

2. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

I have, and using the Ibanez ABG 45 a few years ago. Can definitely be done, the plug is your friend once you get past a certain volume level, but if you're playing at lower volumes you can dispense with it, at least IME.

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I tried that when I was playing with a folkie group (the ABG looked the part) but it was an unsatisfactory solution. Now I play my Precision: sound trumps looks.

4. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Looks is definitely a small part of why I'm trying this. You show up for a small restaurant gig with drums,a big 5 sting Jazz bass and the guitar player with a strat and a bunch of pedals and the owner will already be on the edge.
    We're seasoned players and we know what to do but it's kind of an uphill battle.
    So our guitar player started just bringing his Godin Nylon electric so I figured i might as well try something different as well. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do a whole gig with the Ibanez but even a couple of sets would be worthwhile.It's mostly latin stuff so I don't need any Zing for that except for some of the more modern ones we do where the B sting is pretty important but I can probably still work them out on the ABG. I might get a hipshot for that bass if it looks like it might work.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

ABGs have their own sound so don't expect to get P/J thump, but they definitely sound very nice in the right context. Sort of an updated EB-2/Guild/Hofner hollow body sound, but w/a piezo. More complexity, though.

You can get plenty of zing from an ABG, btw if that's what you want.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I used a Breedlove ABG in my acoustic trio for a while, but found my Fodera to work better on a lot of the soft rock tunes we do. The ABG was harder to play, too.

8. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

I'm really surprised how much I like playing this thing. I only paid 150.- with a hardshell case for this bass but it plays really well, the neck is totally straight,the fretwork looks really high quality and it probably could be set up to play even better. My friend is a luthier so I'll be taking it to him on Monday.
    I love sitting in my room in front of my monitors, have the bass on just a little bit, with some reverb, blending that with the acoustic sound I'm hearing, it's really nice.I just wish the edge of the bass body was not so sharp, my forearm hurts from resting on it. I can't play well with my arm floating.

9. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I love my Ibanez AEB8E. It's loud enough to jam with two guitarists and a singer and some percussion, and it sounds good to my ears. The neck is great - 32" I believe, so it's comfy for me. You get used to moving around the body.

I go straight through the PA from the XLR-out for acoustic gigs (two guitars, two singers, one bass), and because there's no drummer I have no trouble hearing myself without monitors. I need to get a feedback buster so I can use it for full band gigs if I feel like it. The look is part of it, but it's also really nice and comfortable to play and it has a really nice amplified tone.

I'm thinking of upgrading one day to either a slim-line acoustic type of deal (Godin, Carvin, even Rob Allen if I have the cash) or finding a luthier to build me something really nice. My favourite thing to do with my acoustic is solo pieces and improvisation; more along the lines of acoustic guitar than traditional bass playing.

10. ErnieD

ErnieD Supporting Member

gimmeagig said: "I just wish the edge of the bass body was not so sharp, my forearm hurts from resting on it. I can't play well with my arm floating."

I just took delivery of my Boulder Creek ERB fretless 5 A/EBG on Friday. I've been picking it up and playing it every few hours since it arrived. But darn, you're right man, it feels like its' cutting into my right forearm as I lay my right arm on the body. Maybe its' the jumbo body or just that I need to apply a different technique.

I watched a YouTube vid tonite and in a bass lesson, the guy says to be sure not to press your right forearm so hard down on the bass body as it will cause finger numbness after awhile.
    Well I have not gotten there yet but I am def feeling rt forearm soreness and slight left wrist pain after rehearsing with it this afternoon. My elec bass' have a much slimmer body so I've not had this issue before.

I'm pretty sure its' mostly a matter of my technique with this new body style, my first ABG. I just played it awhile ago again and adjusted my rt forearm differently and it's not diggin into my arm as much but I can still feel the sharpness of the edge of the body at times as I move my arm around.

Guess I need to practice abit more. Has a very nice fretless tone though, really enjoying that aspect of it. Just ordered some D'Adarrio Nylon Flats as those D'Add Bronze strings it came with are trashing my fingertips and make alot of noise. Maybe they'll settle with use but looking forward to trying Nylons for the first time.

11. Duckwater

Duckwater

ABGs just sound too polite to work with any of the musicians I play with. I have seen and heard it done well though.

12. ErnieD

ErnieD Supporting Member

well I just started up with a new group, female vocalist, conga/spec perc and two spanish-style-strumming, acoustic guitarists, they are plugged into PA.

I've taken 3-4 of my elec basses to rehearsals and they work fine. But I felt the ABG will look more the part, it will always have to be plugged in. Into either one of my amps or into the PA as they lean to more restaurant/small club type gigs.

And its just an excuse to try a new bass. :p This BC sounds pretty nice, surely feels different than any of my EB's and looks pretty cool. If I get serious about it, I am liking the thinner body of other ABG's such as Godin A5 FL. May return this one and try an A5 next. We'll see, if I can get more comfy with this bass, it may work out.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

You're perfectly right about this, and it's the only reason AGBs really have for existing in the first place, being a prop for the "Unplugged" [not] flap of twenty years ago. Otherwise, they're just a hopelessly flawed concept. You have to amplify them to get them to work, and if you're going to amplify them, why not use a real bass without all the inherent hassles of an AGB?

Third-party perception, that's why. :meh:

And that's a completely valid reason, no doubt about it.

If your gig means you're stuck using one of these pigs, the way to go is to do what you can to physically deaden the feedback and look into an electronic feedback eliminator if that doesn't do it. I have one here for ABG as part of another digital bass floor effect and after screwing around with it for a while I could get it to work well. Rack units may be more trouble than they're worth if you're after a low-impact stage presence.

Good luck!

14. ErnieD

ErnieD Supporting Member

Yeah I felt I'd be using my BC (Pig) AGB ;) mostly for its looks with a couple spanish style acoustic giturd-istas. :D What with latin restaurants/clubs gigs, I felt it would fit the bill better than my modern EB's or my thumping P5 w/flats.

But I've been pleasantly surprised at the nice, thick tone this Boulder Creek Fretless 5 is giving me. Using some hand/finger techniques and its a thumper for some percussive playing. Was having some minor feedback at louder volumes. I turned the combo amp or head/cab just slightly askew from me and it went away. No big center soundhole in the BC's.

Of course, I new I'd always be pluggin this Pig in but thank goodness for small combos'/micro amps and Neo speaker cabs. This will be the lightest load in/ load out for me ever in a band. Orale!

That'll be all pig. :p