Age limit?

Discussion in 'Ask the Berklee Bass Department' started by remcult, Apr 10, 2014.

1. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Fair day to you, my low-end idols

So I'm a 22 year old junior in college. I transferred from my original school partly because they had a comparatively meager music program. I drummed for about 10 years, and then a couple years back caught the bass bug, and now I can't stop. I'm constantly practicing. And when I'm not, I'm thinking about what to play or learn next.

Basically, I don't truly believe I could cut it as a pro bassist (though teaching appeals to me, and nothing makes me happier than performing). But I can't deny that bass is my passion, and I'll do anything to improve.

Any words of wisdom? Do older students come to Berklee for a second bachelors?

Best,
    Dave

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

My advice: learn a primary profession, and continue playing bass so that you can pursue your muse while supporting yourself with a good-paying day job.

3. Steve Bailey

Steve Bailey Supporting Member

Hi Dave,
    We have many students who are pursuing second bachelors degrees, a couple in their mid-50's!
    I can truly know that when I am at the "end of my days" that I pursued my dream to its fullest. Music has always been my "primary profession" and there is not a day that goes by that I am not absolutely grateful for that!!!
    Having said that, there are many Berklee grads who go on to get Masters degrees in other subjects and eventually land where they are happy, making a living, and still playing a lot of music.
    My advice would be to never take other peoples advice, in particular those who have never heard you play and don't know you. Hopefully you know you, and you will find your way. Let me know if you have any questions about our program. sb

4. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Thanks Steve, I appreciate you taking the time to answer. It's just one of those (big) things I'll have to work out.

A semi-related question: do the 5 or 12 week summer sessions require auditions? I know the 12 week camp assumes a certain level of proficiency and theory

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Steve Bailey

Steve Bailey Supporting Member