Ageing white plastic pickup covers.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by alfredpunkjazz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. alfredpunkjazz

alfredpunkjazz

Hi!

So I bought a new set of pickup covers for my Geedy Lee, they are white, maybe too much... I want them to look more like the colour of the maple, so I was wondering what would you guys do? I was thinking about coffee, but I would like to have some input before doing it, I bought them in the US but I live in México, so it's not that easy for me to just buy another pair.

I'm going for the Meldal-Johnsen with NIN Geedy look :ninja:

2. reep

reep

I tried aging a pickguard with coffee, but several applications over two weeks did nothing to change them. I eventually dressed it in Kiwi brown shoe polish, left it for a couple of days, and then polished it off. Worked pretty good.

3. CJAZ

CJAZ

Tea works very well for staining/coloring. It actually works much better than coffee. Make sure you use regular tea, not herbal.

4. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Some plastics "age" well, some don't. I had a set of cream colored guitar humbucker rings that wouldn't take a stain, no matter what I tried - and I tried coffee, tea, tobacco, a brown permanent marker, and shoe polish. I finally just left them the way they were.

I have read that some plastics that are resistant to staining will respond to being left under a UV light for a few days. I haven't tried this, yet, so I can't comment on it. If you don't have any luck with other methods, you might look into that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I've used coffee for aging white pickup covers, and it's worked fine for me. I don't drink tea, so I never have of that in the house.

7. alfredpunkjazz

alfredpunkjazz

8. kasbrey

kasbrey

You could also try scuffing the plastic with fine glasspaper and soaking the covers in water with a teaspoon of turmeric powder. It worked great on my MM style white covers and only took about an hour and a half!