aggressive bass tone that cut through mix (like Unsane)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by analogrowl, Aug 8, 2011.

?

Which bass would you consider regarding the thread ?

1. Nordstrand VP5

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Lakland USA Decade V

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  3. EBMM SR5

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. EBMM SR5 Classic

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Americain Precision Deluxe V

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. Spector Legend

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  7. Sadowsky NYC VP5, SP5

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  8. G&L L2500

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. analogrowl

analogrowl

Hey guys,

I'm asking you some advices again.

Basically, I'm looking for a sound that's close to the bass sound on Unsane Visqueen EP in fuzz. But I'm looking mainly for a 5-String bass that would have a bright punchy mid tone in clean and that would cut through the mix too (in fuzz and bright). I don't want a sound like woddy or soft round bass, really need an aggressive attack, lot of presence. I only use a plectrum. I know this has a lot to do with the Amp, Cab, comp and EQ too but for now i'm looking for the basis, a good bass that would help to give me that having a really good playability.

I know Unsane bassist play with a P bass using SVT and an old RAT fuzz. So i think a 5-String P bass would do the trick for me. Do you think it's possible to get that tone out of an 5-String modern like P bass or should i go for a vintage old fender one ?

For now, I'm looking for bass like Nordy VP5, Sadowsky NYC P5 (or PJ5), Lakland USA Decade 5. Am i right or totally outside the subject ? I'm kinda blind as it's nearly impossible to find such bass here in France. Does a MM Stingray would be better for that ?

Cheers and regards,
    Olivier
  2. Mytola

Mytola

I'd see if I can get my hands on a G&L L2500. The MFD pickups are very hot, bright and cut through like nothing else I've tried. It's got a lot of the classic Fender tones and Fender DNA in it as well, being the last bass Leo Fender himself designed. (Many people, including me argue that it was his best as well, hehe.)

It's really a swiss army knife and a tone monster. :)
  3. analogrowl

analogrowl

Hello Mytola, yeah G&L is something I'm considering too. But I've ready many times that the B-string isn't that good on a G&L. That's why i didn't mentionned them.
  4. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie Supporting Member

Media:
    Is this agressive enough? Youtube link :ninja:

There are some nice 5 string Alembics available in Europe currently, sure worth to look into (imho)
  5. analogrowl

analogrowl

Sorry, i can't check vids for now (due to compagny proxy) i'll asap as i've got internet free ;).
  6. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie Supporting Member

Media:
  7. Inconnu

Inconnu

You haven't read me on that... the low B is fine. Some people feel a 5 string bass should be at least a 35 inch scale, the G&L is a 34 inch scale bass. That said, I never felt my low B was floppy. It's tight and punchy, specially with the strings going through the body.
  8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Spectors cut through really well. You might want to check them out.
  9. analogrowl

analogrowl

Hello guys, made a poll, so go on ;) tell me what you think about the ones in the pool. And if some models miss just tell me i'll add them in
  10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

You're not from around here are you? ;)
  11. analogrowl

analogrowl

Oups, right, from Fra but at work right now that's why i must make some mistake too ;). I'll correct it, thanks for underline that one
  12. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Spector legend may, but the Spector Euro definitely will (all under what you'd pay for a new Sad Nyc, and even a new pre, If you don't care for the tonepump).
  13. analogrowl

analogrowl

Yeah, i'd like to edit the poll options but i can't figure how to do that.
  14. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Lets see....
    You're looking for a 5 string, brite, punchy, agressive, able to cut thru the mix, not woody or soft or round, lots of presence, you play with a pic and you live in Europe.

Look no further than the Warwick Thumb BO5! (add it to your vote list and I'll vote for it)

Some fantastic thumb basses in the $1200 and under range. If you go this route look for one made pre 1998 that has the bubinga body and wenge/wenge neck. But if possible try one first, some people complain about neck dive on the 5 string model (mine doesn't dive, hangs at about 2:00).

I've had the G&L 2500 and agree with the other poster, it has a lot of different tone options but for some reason the only one that worked for me in a mix was the passive setting. I have an Alembic Essence 5 string and agree with the other poster, they are great at cutting thru the mix depending on the electronic package you have on it, but they can be very expensive and in my experience are better suited to studio work (to nice to gig at the bar). I have Fender P basses and 5 string deluxe jazz basses and wouldn't classify either as agressive. I also have a number of stingray basses and will say they can be very agressive and probably my second choice based on what you're looking for but if you go that route try the 2 band single humbucker stingray or the 3 band HH or HS stingray.

Whatever you do, make an effort to try before you buy. You're talking about some expensive gear here so make sure it's the best one for you.
  15. analogrowl

analogrowl

Hey GB, many thanks for your reply, of course i'm going to try before buy. The funny stuff in there is that i'm selling a warwick thumb BO6 because i don't find it aggressive at all, neither bright or punchy. But i guess that's because it's the old line with the bartolini pickups in there.

16. WilsonMusic

WilsonMusic Slap the bass, you must Supporting Member

I said sr5, but I really think a modulus q5 or zon sinus 5/2 wood be a good option
  17. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Yep - the Barts will kill the agressive nature of the thumb. The MEC pickups and preamp are the way to go for this. I know you cant view a youtube at work but here's one you might want to take a look at in your off time.

‪My basses (musicman, warwick, fender)‬‏ - YouTube

It's a player (not a bad one either) that plays a Stingray, Jazz, Precision and Thumb in a back to back review. Very representative of my experience as well. He doesn't use a pic but he does do a lot of slap which will give a good feel for the agressiveness of the bass.
    If the Warwick isn't your cup of tea, try the Stingray - Like I said it would be my second choice followed by the G&L.
  18. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

19. analogrowl

analogrowl

Hey many thanks again GB, i'll look at it once off-work time. Thanks a lot ;).
  20. analogrowl

analogrowl

Yup i'd like to add that one too but dunno how to edit the poll