1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

AGUILAR 112 GS DB OR SL (different questions)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

I understand the voicing differences. But here I am with a dilemma.

2x
    112 GS 900$

2x
    112 DB 1200$

2x
    112 SL 1250$

The last two Id have to pay tax on, it's included in that cost. I may get them slightly lower.

Honestly any of them would work for me.
    I prefer Toltex however the GS is MUCH cheaper. Cheap enough that I wouldn't mind the carpet

The DBs have a cool mid range

The SLs are light weight and I'm getting a good price.

However I'm young the heavier weight of the db or gs wouldn't be a problem. The SL would just have a cool factor of being light. Would I loose any sound quality with them?
  2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

You can find better pricing on the DB's and get it down closer to the GS price. I haven't looked at the SL's so I don't know what they're going for on the street.
  3. Tony Flow MMMM

I can now get them SL's for 625$ each no tax!!

Ahhhh
  4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I owned two SLs for a bit. TBH, they were too lightweight for my tastes. It was super easy to swing your arm and accidentally bump them into things. In addition, I found them to not be too terribly loud. They had a very open and airy tone to them that sat well in a mix, but it didn't cut much at all. I'd actually go for the DBs if I were you.
  5. Tony Flow MMMM

Thanks man the more responses the better! Keep em coming.
    Had you ever compared them to the others?
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I knew a guy on my local scene who used DBs. I played them once briefly and thought they sounded really nice, and every time I saw him play with them he sounded great! I've never owned them, though.

I know the GS series are supposedly tuned for a more modern tone (emphasized lows and highs) which is something I'd personally never go for in regards to my tone. It might not be fair for me to rank the GS cabs against the others, but knowing what I know about them I'd probably go DBs > SLs > GSs.
  7. Tony Flow MMMM

The gs I have heard in person but could only compare in real time to's 2x10 db.
    I have owned a db112 years ago.

That said. I do like the gs scooped sound. But I think I'd prefer removing Mids from the db rather than trying to add them in with the GS.
  8. thefrenchise

thefrenchise Supporting Member

Where did you find that sweet deal ?
  9. Tony Flow MMMM

10. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

Which cabs did you get?
  11. divetone

divetone

I have two GS 112's with a TH 500 head. I would love to try the DB series but don't gig near often enough to justify spending more bread on my rig. That said, with the mid forward nature of the TH 500 I can dial plenty of mid presence through the cabs. TH mid level never goes past 1:00. I supplied them as back line on a couple of outdoor BBQ gigs with other bands Bassists seemed to dig them.
  12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I have not played the SL's, but between DB and GS, it's DB all the way. My favorite cabs ever are the Aguilar DB series, and Genz Benz Uber series.
  13. ursus

ursus

I have one of each, SL & DB. Drive them with a Tonehammer 350. I think I´m the only one here @ TB that use this combo:)