1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Aguilar 5P-60 string spacing?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by b525, Apr 11, 2014.

1. b525

b525

Hello fellow pickup enthusiasts,

So I have a jazz bass with 18mm spacing at the bridge. I plan to put a p bass pickup, the 5P-60 inbetween the jazz pickups. But change the bridge pup to the Musicman pickups by aguilar; the 5M.

I've emailed the guys at Aguilar and they said that both the MM and 5P-60 can accomodate 18-19 mm string spacing. He didn't specify whether that is bridge string spacing or not, I'm assuming so. But I've measured the string spacing between the pickups and well... they're slightly (roughly) under 18 mm. It's a jazz bass, gets much narrower as it approaches the nut, right?

I'm concerned that the 5P-60 pups won't fit. I've emailed them again, no response after a day or two.

Help? Would it fit? :help: if anybody has these lovely sounding pickups (from what I've heard on demos) I'd appreciate your help!

2. b525

b525

Sorry I meant 5P-60 not 5J. Anybody?

3. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

I'm not exactly sure I understand your question but here's a pic of a 4 string bass. The string spacing is 17.5 at the bridge. It normally goes in a fender with 19 mm spacing. It seems there's a range of string spacing the p pickup can fit.

. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1397328732.313801.jpg

4. jmceachern36

Oh and I forgot to mention. That's an Aguilar pickup on the bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. b525

b525

Thank you so much jmceachern36! I guess I have nothing to worry about now. I forgot how wide the P bass pickup aperture can be. That is a beautiful bass btw, I'm liking the pickguard. How does she play/sound?

7. Fogoverla

Fogoverla

I just dropped a 4P-60 and a 4J-HC into a modified 87 MIJ Fender P Bass and aside from the volume dropping with both pickups wide open, the pickups sound amazing!

8. jmceachern36

Thanks. It's a Birdsong bass. It came with a hot Dimarzio pickup and I thought it was to aggressive sounding. With the Aguilar it really sounds just like an old Fender. I sound tested it next to 2 Fenders from the late 60's and it sounded almost the same. Quite good in fact.

9. b525

b525

Sweet. I've heard clips of those pups, sounds great and they're very versatile. I wonder though, why does the volume drop? How do you fix that? I have the same problem with my bass that has a P/MM pup combination when they're wide open.

10. b525

b525

Oh Birdsong! Aren't those usually short/medium scale? Yours looks like it has 24 frets. Am I correct?

11. jmceachern36

Yes 31 inch scale 24 frets.... I think there's always a volume drop with 2 pickups on. There is with mine. I'm not sure why though.