Aguilar 680db?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassHappy, Apr 13, 2014.

1. I did an advanced search on this box but nothing really came up. I hope I am posting in the right place. Mods, feel free of course, to do what you must if I have posted in the wrong place.

My friend Neil Dorfsman used this box for years in the small outboard rack that he always took to the studio - and apparently he used it when he recorded both Sting and McCartney. I know the box is pretty old.

I use mine still, but am I missing something? Are there any bass preamp boxes which have easily surpassed the early Aguilar technology? I was told that it was basically a Neve preamp optimized for bass. I really don't use much EQ so fancy elaborate EQ sections are not necessary. Just looking for a first class signal path with some "tube" warmth.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net
  2. KJung

KJung

If you are talking about the large, 2 space Aguilar 680, it is a fine preamp, even by today's standards. Massive overkill IMO for most DI-only usage, especially if you aren't interested in the powerful EQ. If it still works, and you dig the sound, no reason to move from it.

On the 'pedal' side of things, the Radial JDI (couple hundred bucks) is a thing of simple beauty that will give you a very clean but warm signal to the board. It is the industry standard for passive DI's. It will roll off a touch of top end with a passive bass, but many like that.

If you are looking for a more 'voiced' DI without tone controls, the REDDI seems to get the most love for those that want their bass tone fattened a bit prior to hitting the board. It is not small (has a transformer and tube in it), but no need for a rack, etc.

For a full preamp with tone controls, the Jule Monique is a beautiful thing also.... very clean and fat, but nice treble response, and usable tone controls, with a unique variable impedance input knob (which does some other stuff too). Comes in a very beautiful and small 'dove cage' format, in addition to a lightweight rack mount about the size of the 680. Warmer than the 680, fatter in the lows, but still clean and quiet!
  3. Yes, it is this one: (I guess it is actually the db680 not the 680db)

[​IMG]

Thank you kindly for all the information. I DO use the boost and cut switches on the Aguilar but do most of the tone adjusting from the instruments, keeping it pretty flat.

The Jule Monique sounds really intriguing. Have to check one out!

Best,

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net