Aguilar AG-4J-HC Hum Canceling J Pups review :)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jaymelewis, Jan 14, 2013.

1. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

2. stretchcat

stretchcat

Sounds good and great playing too! Other than removing the 60 cycle hum, how did the Aguilar pickups change the sound from the original stock single coils?

3. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Thanks man!

I was using a nordstrand in the before, and I dug it just fine but again couldn't stand the hum. These pups have a similar single coil tone but are a little less gritty I guess. The point of the video wasn't really to compare the two but just to demonstrate the Aggies. Maybe a before/after comparison video will be next ;)

4. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21

Did you record your direct signal or was it eq'd? Sounds great

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Thanks man! Signal was recorded direct from my A-Designs REDDI into an A-Designs Pacifica straight to Pro Tools HD. A little bit of EQing to make it match the genre but nothing extraordinary. Mostly roll-offs and dips :)

7. msquared

msquared

Maybe your next video should compare the Aggies to one or both of the two hum cancelling pickup models that Nordstrand offers.

8. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

9. vpermana

vpermana Supporting Member

Jay, great video.
    I spoke with Jon Maghini recently and he offers this pick up also as an option.
    It would be interesting to see apple to apple comparison between the nordstrand single coil and the aguilar hc with flat setting, no EQ etc.
    In your opinion, on flat setting, which one is closer to vintage 60's tone?
    (I am a sucker for vintage tone)
    Thanks

Virdi

10. Jheake

Jheake

I was thinking about getting a set of these to replace the N3 pickups in my 5 string. I love the tone of the N3's but mine are so noisy. I mean its almost unbearable. I have shielded the bass too.

Anyway I would love to keep the tone that I have and just get rid of the crappy buzz.
    Thoughts?

11. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Go passive and yank that preamp or replace it. Lots of discussion on that topic here about that bass.

12. Jheake

Jheake

Haha well thats all fine and dandy, but will the pickups at least fix the current problem I am having?

I plan on adding a Sadowsky preamp eventually, when I have more funds. I really just need to get that buzz fixed. I do like the stock pre though. even though i mostly run it flat in active mode.

Thanks for the input btw.

13. Doug Parent

I only spent a short tim with that bass, but I don't recall the pickups being noisy in passive mode, if thats what you are asking. I had the same issue with a 2006, and I yanked the pre altogether and actually liked the SCN pickups (used at the time) better passive.

14. Jheake

Jheake

I can turn to a certain place in the room and get rid of the noise actually. It does make the buzz in active and passive, though its much worse in active.

I guess my question is really; is it the pickups that are making the buzz?

Or could the Pre-amp be part of this issue as well?
    Thats specifically, why I was looking at new pickups.

Again, thanks for responding.

15. Doug Parent

Not sure who the real offender is in that case. Trying a change on either end should reveal the answer. If you search threads that include "fender" and "buzz" you might got some more info. good luck.

16. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification

Disclosures:
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    60 cycle hum is what you are hearing. It is being induced by the electrical gear in the room. It is probably slightly louder when active because of the preamp adding some gain. This will happen with any single coil pickup. However, a pickup like the Aguilar HC jazz bass will cancel that hum and solve the problem. As will any hum canceling pickup design.

17. Jheake

Jheake

Sorry i didn't realize you had reply'd to my comment.

That's great to hear thank you. Looks like I will be ordering a set of these here pretty soon.

I appreciate all the help guys.

18. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Media:
    Wow, very good sound and playing. I bought a set of this Aguilars, great tone, not instaled yet. Congrats.

19. Garagiste

Garagiste Previously AADUNTOV Supporting Member

Just got my Jazz bass back today with Aguilar 4J-HC pickups. They sound fantastic. I was thinking of getting the Lindy Fralins but these do everything I want my J bass to do. Fat and warm on the neck and punchy and growly on the bridge. And dead quiet. Aguilar gear is first-rate and really sounds great in the mix.