Aguilar casters

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Eliot L, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Eliot L

Eliot L

Hey guys,

I recently got myself an Aguilar DB 212 and needless to say I absolutely love it. Everything about it.....except the casters. They pop out very easily (sometimes just from lifting it). I don't know much about how sound truly works but I was wondering if I put on some of the Mesa casters (which I've heard nothing but good things about) do I need to fill in the holes where the sockets were originally? Has anyone had experience putting these on?

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum . Thanks!

On a side note, does anyone have experience with the padded cover? Would it be sufficient enough to bring on a tour enough to keep the grill from getting destroyed in a trailer?

2. lgrankin

lgrankin

I have the same issue with the casters on my 2 DB212's. They just don't seem to lock in tightly enough and a couple of them fall out very easily. I'll have replace them eventually...

I use LeCover slips for my cabs. They work well, but I'm not on the road and I handle my own gear.

3. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

My GS410 casters fall out, too. Annoying. I'm thinking of just wrapping the caster shafts with a bit of electrical tape. That oughta tighten them up enough to keep them in.

I would be comfortable using the padded cover on the road IF I could be assure of putting the cab in the trailer where it was up against a (smooth) wall, with the grill side facing the wall.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ricguy

ricguy

If your caster wheels are in good condition, you may want to try expanding the brass (?) grip rings on the stems with a flat-blade screw driver; assuming that they have compressed over time, which may be why they're falling out.

If they're not "fixable" you could replace just the casters, and not the sockets. Replacement casters can be purchased here: http://www.servicecaster.com/
    If you do that, just be sure to get the same diameter & length stem as on the casters you have now. You can get new casters with different size wheels, different composition of wheels, etc. if you want. (I prefer a 3" rubber wheel as opposed the usual 2" hard plastic ones).

If you go with Mesa Trak-Lok casters you might need to locate them in a different spot on the cabinet as they do require a large, single screw hole for mounting the plate(s) to the cabinet. If you go that route, the Trak-Lok plate may cover the existing caster socket holes, so you might not need to fill them.

Regarding padded covers - depending on how secure (well blocked-in) the cabinet is in your trailer, you'll be fine. If it wiggles around a lot and rubs up against some thing rough/sharp, it'll chew a hole through the cover in no time.