1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Aguilar dB 2x12 modifiable de 4 a 8ohms

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dvdsk8, Apr 3, 2014.

1. dvdsk8

dvdsk8 Supporting Member

May 1, 2011
    Guadalajara, Mex.
    Hello someone knows if a Cabinet aguilar DB2x12 into 4 ohms can be modifiable to 8ohms?

Best regards

2. Only by changing the speakers. No rewiring option can change any 4ohm cab to 8ohm or vice versa.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. DirkP

DirkP

Jan 18, 2013
    Hamburg, Germany
    Your enclosure must have 2 x 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel, which makes it a 4 ohm cabinet.
    If you would wire the two speakers in series, the cabinet would have 16 ohm.

Hope that helps,
    Dirk

5. DirkP

DirkP

Jan 18, 2013
    Hamburg, Germany
    Another idea: if you want to change the impedance of the cabinet, I guess you want to combine it with another cabinet and you want to connect both to an amplifier, which can't go under 4 ohm in total.
    If that is the case, there is another solution. If you have two 4 ohm cabinets for example, you can build a special cable (you don't have to open the cabinets or change anything within the cabinets) that puts both cabinets into series. For example I have two 4 Ohm Yamaha cabinets connected to one Markbass Amp LMII. With the cable solution the two cabinets result in an impedance of 8 ohm. If you combine a 4 ohm and a 8 ohm cabinet you get about 12 ohm. This means less power from the amp, but more speaker-surface.
    4 and 8 parallel:

Rges=R1 * R2 / R1 + R2
    4*8 / 4+8 =2,666

in series: 12 ohm

In my case the Yamaha cabinets both have only one 10" speaker but I guess it works the same way, if the cabinets have 2 speakers and you put the cabinets into series (not the single speakers within the cabinets). But I'm not an electronics-expert so I'm not 100% sure, if it really doesn't matter or has disadvantages.
    Dirk

6. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Putting loudspeakers in series isn't a good idea (there are several reasons for that). If they are exactly the same it's no problem.
    Besides that, putting a 4ohm cab in series with an 8 ohm will give you a nominal impedance of 12ohms.

7. DirkP

DirkP

Jan 18, 2013
    Hamburg, Germany
    Why isn't it a good idea and what are the reasons? And aren't most 2 speaker cabinets that are 8 ohm just two 4 ohm speakers in series? Your first sentence sounds as if it's always a problem and never a good idea, then you write just the opposite "No Problem"???

4 ohm + 8 ohm in series makes 12 ohm is exactly what I wrote in the post above.

Dirk

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If the cabinets each have a crossover they can interact poorly when in series. An 8Ω cabinet in series with a 4Ω cabinet will mean that the 8Ω cabinet will get twice the power going to the 4Ω.