1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Aguilar DB 412 Tweeter Problem

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JeffontheBass, Jan 4, 2013.

1. JeffontheBass

JeffontheBass

Hi Guys, Happy New Year!

I had a blown tweeter diaphragm in my db 412, received the new diaphragm and installed it ( I have done this before ) put the tweeter back in the cab and got nothing, I also noticed that the top 2 speakers were not working as we'll, anybody have any clues? Bad crossover? The bottom 2 speakers work fine. Also I can hear noise coming out of the tweeter that sounds like an air leak when it's turned up.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
  2. JeffontheBass

JeffontheBass

Anybody ever blown a crossover? Know how to test one?
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You are not getting any help huh?
    First many manufacturers use series-parallel wiring in four speaker cabs. This means that any fault in the series circuit (top two or bottom two) will make two speakers inoperable. The open could be a loose wire or burnt open voice coil(s) in the top two drivers.
    Does the "air leak" sound like a hiss (like an FM radio tuned inbetween stations). If so the tweeter is now working. As far as testing the crossover you need a audio generator. Some freeware like "Visual Analyser" can provide tones and sweeps to test the crossover. Output your PC or Laptop sound to an amp and feed that to the cab.
    Contact Aggie and find out what the crossover point is and compare to what the cab's tweeter turns on at.
    It is also possible the two series pairs of 12's combine in the crossover assembly and burnt/ loose connections could be on that board.
  4. B-string

Too much info?
  5. JeffontheBass

JeffontheBass

Hey B string, thanks for the info, I will look into the software and see if I can wrap my head around it, I will also check for loose connections. Also yes it sounds like a fm radio in between channels when the tweeter is turn way up, I plugged my bass in but no sound out if the tweeter, just that air sound. Thanks again for all your help!
  6. B-string

Okay we know the tweeter is working as that hiss is from the amp. The amount of signal from your bass that goes to it will vary according to your strings/tone setting on the bass and eq on the amp. They don't add a huge amount of sound but if the crossover went bad and the crossover frequency went out of spec (say 10,000Hz instead of 5,000Hz) then hiss would be about all you would get.
  7. JeffontheBass

JeffontheBass

Is there a way to check/test to see if the voice coils are open/burnt?
  8. JeffontheBass

JeffontheBass

Hmm, just saw your post, yeah all I get is the hiss so it must be the crossover?
  9. B-string

Is the tone on your bass at full open, non using old flats? Treble on the amp not cut and no high cut engaged on the amp?
  10. JeffontheBass

JeffontheBass

I turned the tweeter all the way up, turned the treble all the way up and hit the treble boost and got nothing but the hiss. Iam using a pbass dimed.
  11. B-string

Sounds likely you have a problem in the crossover then. You should be able to at least hear string noise or pick noise. :)
  12. JeffontheBass

JeffontheBass

Ok, I will have to find a place around here to look at it and install a new crossover. Thanks again for helping me out!!!
  13. B-string

Your welcome! Come back and let us know how everything works out.
  14. JeffontheBass

JeffontheBass