1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Aguilar DB 659 and Solid State Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by skb5string, Jan 30, 2013.

1. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Hello all,

Ive been reading alot about the DB 659 over the past few weeks and am very interested in it.

I can remember playing one at a local all-bass store that was here in metro Detroit and really liking it.

What Im looking for is opinions on the tone aspect and what SS power amp to pair it with.

Here is a little back ground..

Ive been a SWR (Pre-Fender) and Eden (USA) guy for years and years.

What I would like to know concerns the tightness of the DB 659 and SS amp set up.

Currently Im running a Eden WT-550B into a Eden XLT 4x10. Nice tight focused tone.

Will the DB 659 still be tight and punchy? I would like some of that tube warmth and woolyness but not loose my clear highs and punch.

I know the Eden and Aggie are different beasts but looking for opinions.

Thanks!
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I can't really advise you too much as I have never used the DB659. Stereo power amps are pretty much neutral in their frequency responses. Pick an power amp that suits your budget. Bear in mind the power required by your cabinets. Too much power can lead to blown drivers.

Used lead sled amps are very cheap but they are heavy. The newer "light" amps are very good too. I use a Carvin DCM1000L with my full tube pre-amp and i'm very happy with the results.
  3. M Sterling

M Sterling Supporting Member

I don't think you are going to be able to get the Aggie to sound quite as bright and "modern" as the Eden in the highs. It is, however very punchy when run with a SS power amp. With the bright switch engaged, it gets close to the eden in the high end. I actually like the fact that the db659 doesn't eq the super highs like the Eden. It seems warmer overall, but I never have a problem getting an awesome slap tone with the Aggie and a j bass. Even with dead strings!
  4. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Is it true the bright switch adds a boost around 5 to 7k? Im looking for the Aggie to add tube warmth to the sound yet remaining punchy..looking for it to be not as sterile as the eden
  5. seamonkey

seamonkey

All the tone comes the the pre-amp
    Within natural limits power amps are just gain.
    Pre-amp makers take advantage of this, knowing they can work with any power amp equally.
  6. M Sterling

M Sterling Supporting Member

If this is your main tone goal, you will not be disappointed.
  7. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

I've had both, and both were great. I don't consider the Eden to be "sterile" at all, considering that's quite a colored tone just naturally coming from the amp and is what some folks don't like about it.

However I've had the DB659 paired with a QSC PLX1602 and had it bridged into an Accugroove El Whappo, and lemme tell ya, that was some tooooaaaannneee right there! One of my favorite preamps, for sure.