Aguilar DB 810 VS Ampeg 8x10E?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Nicky-T, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Nicky-T

Nicky-T

Anyone tried out the Aguilar DB 810? It has a much higher wattage handling and says that it gets up to 136 db's.

I'm looking for the loudest/ballsiest cabinet out there to run my SVT CL through.

I currently use an Ampeg 610 but it just can't handle it. It starts to fart out when i really crank it. I play a lot of southern/classic/blues/hard rock stuff with a good amount of overdrive so I really want the punch as well as the nice low end response.

Any thoughts experience with the DB 810? I can't really find any good reviews comparing the ampeg and the aguilar 810.

thanks!
  2. jmiles45

jmiles45

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    go read justin meldal-johnsen's forum...he recently switched from ampeg to aggie and used a db810 with nin. look for the thread "aguilar it is."

however, if a 610hlf isn't handling it for you, two extra speakers probably won't help much. you'll more than likely have to modify your tone/volume (which is your best bet if you want to keep your band from getting canned) or get two 810's or 610's.
  4. Nicky-T

Nicky-T

Great thanks for the info!

Sometimes my band plays bars where the sound system sucks and have only vocals in the mix and our amps have to carry the rest. That's why I was looking for something that can get LOUD! haha

Thanks!

Register to disable this ad
  5. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Not necessarily - IME, the 610HLF just isn't all that robust... The 810e will definitely take more of a pounding from an amp, and definitely gets louder... Truth is, the Goliath Sr and PH 610 will both trounce the 610HLF in terms of volume, low end, and power handling... I've played all those cabs in a band setting quite a few times, and that's my experience...

- georgestrings
  6. georgestrings

See my last post - also, SWR's Megoliath would work well for you...

- georgestrings
  7. SVTDOUBLEBUCK

SVTDOUBLEBUCK

If you want a ballsy, mega fridge, I would recommend the Basson 8x10, absolutely crazy big, awesome sound, ran a svt-4pro through one, and it was wild!
  8. georgestrings

Yuck - IMO, a 228lb 810 that needs 1KW or more to put out decent volume is a pretty crappy deal...

- georgestrings
  9. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, EMG, Coffin Case, Maxon
    Definitely the DB 810! last time i heard an DB 810 it had the fattest sounding midrange I've ever heard in an 810.

I've talked to Brandon Giffin from the faceless and he swears the tone is all in his aggie 810 and I have to agree... Aguilar makes some awesome stuff. The ampeg may be the industry standard.. but i think its just that.. just a standard nothing more.
  10. faivy

faivy

I just sold my 1978 810 fridge because of the size/weight.
    I jusy picked up a pair of 4 ohm DB410's to play with my 1978 SVT and they sound great albeit cranked up in the basement plus I have the option of using 1 cab when necessary. All the midrange/ tone you could ask for and more than enough bass.
    I really like aguilar cabs. I have a pair of GS 112's for those smaller gigs
  11. afroman

afroman

I might be biased but the DB810 would smoke the Ampeg out of the water. Both in volume, clarity and midrange power.

I would suggest getting a pair of DB410s or even a Bergantino NV610.
    I f that's not enough for your band, you guys should really try to lower the overall volume, and USE EARPLUGS!:bag: