Aguilar DB SL GS?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jaruquin, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

What's the difference between these series?

2. KJung

KJung

DB and GS use the same components, but are made of different material, different tuning/ports, etc. The DB line is much more mid-mid present than the GS line (even more noticable with the 112 versions than some of the rest of the line.

The SL cabs are very lightweight neo cabs. Never had the chance to try those, and the tone descriptions on TB are all over the map on them. So, can't help you there other than the weight.

3. KJung

KJung

A little more info on the DB112 versus the GS112 (I owned both of them through the years).

The DB cabs are (IMO) voiced for what I call a 'modern vintage' vibe. The are mid present, very warm, and they snarl a bit when you dig in. They have rear ports, and come in a variety of 'old school' tolex and cloth grill looks to reinforce that sort of 'classic voicing'. VERY nice sounding cabs to me.

The GS cabs have a more modern 'carpet and metal grill' look to them, and most (including me) describe them as a bit mid mid scooped, which makes them sound deeper and also more 'sizzly/brighter' than the DB line, even though the low end extension and the tweeter/crossover is the same.

I feel the DB line really goes nicely with the fat tone of the DB750/750 and TH500.

I believe the SL cabs are made of some sort of composite material (not wood), and again are super lighweight with that neo 112 woofer). I'll let others comment on the tone.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

You want to hear some DB cabs? Here you go:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    The SL112 sound good at lower volumes, but start to run out of steam when you push them. I found that in a typical band situation a single SL112 really wouldn't cut it. In the same band situation, a single Berg AE210 was fine, and a Baer ML112 is fine as well.

The upside to the SL112 is the light weight - my back loved them. It is a fairly big cab for a 1-12 though, so that somewhat negates the portability advantage (plus it uses a strap handle, which I tend to hate). A pair of SL112s can hang pretty well in a louder situation.

7. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

The SL has a little less low end compared to the DB and GS line. I went with the DB and am quite happy with my cabinet.

8. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Your the one with the white ones right. Post them on this thread. They look serious.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

I think the DB is the best match for the DB750/1 and TH heads, and the GS is a better match for a "tighter" head like the AG500.

10. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

No I have the standard color though I do like the other colors as well.

IMG_0064.jpg:
    Upload of file failed.

Could not download the photo.

11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I have a pair of SL cabs and they are plenty loud. A single is pretty convincing with a band. But we don't play excessively loud either.

I would say they are leaning more toward a modern sound ala Epifani 112 cabs.
    I have them being slammed with a DB750 and they're holding up just fine.
    And they are about average for a 112 size wise. Not big at all.
    And light? Oh hells yeah!

12. KJung

KJung

Hey Mike,

Make sure you try a TH500. With those cabs, my guess is you will hear VERY little difference between the DB750 and the TH500, and you will save yourself around 45 or 50 pounds and a lot of money. And, the TH500 has a much better control of the midrange. If you have four of those cabs, of course, that would be a different story.

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

If you have 4 of those cabs, then just get another TH500 and you'll still save $$. :)

14. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

The DB 751 has a different pre amp that has 3 tubes giving a smoother sound over the 500 though the overall sound character is the same. I think you will find the attack a little more reactive on the 751 as well.

15. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

I have a pair of DB112's (purchased from KJung) and I've played on the GS series. I think his description is very accurate.

16. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

I'm gonna re-do it with better audio, but thats a nice representation of how they actually sound with my DB750 & Sadowsky.
    Sadowsky+Aguilar= pure joy!