1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Aguilar DB112 vs. Gallien Krueger Neo 112-II

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

I've been thinking about picking up a pair of rock-voiced 1x12 cabs for small-to-midsized club gigs. I'm looking for deep, warm, smooth lows; punchy, growly mids; and sweet, organic highs. (Note: Please don't suggest fEarful 12/6/1 cabs. They're already on my drawing board for a different application).

Two makes/models I'm considering right now are the Aguilar DB112 and the GK Neo 112-II. Am considering the Avatar SB112 as well, but for the purposes of this thread, let's just keep it to two models.

I intend to run them with an Eden Nemesis EN700 amp head - 400 watts @ 8 ohms, 550 watts @ 4 ohms, and 700 watts @ 2 ohms. Will be getting two 8-ohm cabs.

For anyone who has experience with either or both these cabs, how would you rate each one according to my ideal tone profile? Which one do you prefer - and for what specific reason(s)? Any other important ways in which they compare/contrast? :meh:

Thanks,

MM

2. livinglow

livinglow

I'm going to vote on the GK Neo 112 for more "rock voiced."

3. KJung

KJung

I have not heard the newest release of the GK112's, but they get GREAT reviews around here.

I had a pair of DB112's and they were among my favorite 112's of all time... nice deep low end, VERY present but warm mid mids, and a pretty nice tweeter, although I found I needed to attenuate it to around 9 o'clock for it to sound 'balanced'.

Very nice cabs if you are looking for a more 'classic' tone... deep, but very warm and mid punchy. That's the good news. The bad news IMO is that they are a bit heavy, and the unusual format (deep, but low height), the single strap handle, and the somewhat fragile tolex/cloth grill made them a bit of a hassle to schlepp, which is why I eventually sold them.

Based on the reviews, and your tone goals, it would probably be pretty hard to beat the GK112's regarding aggressive tone, SPL, weight and especially price.

And +1... the 12/6/1 would be the last cab on earth I would want for the application you describe. Great cab for deep lows, smooth mids, and hi fi top end though.

4. nitsuj

nitsuj

I have 2 of the Neo112s that I run my GK 700RB through... the tone is great, and the cabs are very easily transported. I used to run my 1001RB through an Ampeg 810AV, and that tone was massive; but 200 lbs. can be quite the workout. Besides, tone wise, the NEO12 is close enough, while weighing only about 1/3 the weight of the Ampeg (that's factoring 2 of the Neos)!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mystic Michael

Y'know what? Scratch this. I'm gonna pick up a couple of Mesa Powerhouse 1x12 cabs, and call it good. :cool:

Mesa Powerhouse 1x12

MM

7. KJung

KJung

Nice cabs if you don't mind the weight (about 50 pounds each with cover... not much less than my 410:eek:). Love the switchable crossover... really nice, high quality, nice and punchy.

8. Mystic Michael

Actually, I do mind the weight. It's just that I'm persuaded the tone will be worth it.

Besides, I don't intend to schlep around these babies entirely by hand. I'm gonna get a heavy-duty dolly or cart, and let it do most of the work...

MM

9. Barcza

Barcza

I had the GK NEO I. I much prefer my GS112. Much rounder tone, and go deeper. The GS112 is more power hungry cab. Maybe mid scooped slightly, but I think in a very nice way. My 74' jazz sounds better with the Aggie, I'm sure. I never tired the NEO II.

10. Mystic Michael

As it turns out, I've changed my mind on getting the Mesa 1x12 anyway. I'm sure it's a dynamite cab, but upon further reflection, I think the GK Neo 112-II is probably going to give me all the "rawk" attitude I could ever need. :cool:

So that decision is a done deal. No, really! :smug: :ninja:

MM

11. showtimed23

showtimed23

besides the weight factor which cab sounds better? looking for warm, vintage tone with nice mids. Gk cabs can be bright especially the neos. aguilar db 112 vs gk neo 112 II

12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

The Mesa is the right call for what you want, easily one of the best rock-voiced cabs on the market.

13. Mystic Michael

Well, all this personal hand-wringing was well more than two years ago. A lot has changed since then.

I ultimately did get a pair of the GK Neo 112-II cabs. And they were OK, but nothing that blew my socks off. I never even played 'em enough to break them in, so it's possible I would have liked them more, had I played them more.

Instead, I flipped 'em...and ended up picking up a pair of the new Baer ML112s. And I'm so glad I did. I believe they're going to be all I need. :cool:

I really did almost go for a pair of Mesa Powerhouse 1x12s, and I have no doubt those would have rocked. But at the end of the day, the weight difference was a factor. :meh:

What can I say? I suffered a very serious spine injury several years ago that paralyzed both my legs. Had 10 hours of reconstructive surgery, and subsequently spent the next four months in the hospital, gradually regaining the ability to walk. I'm still recovering - ever so slowly - from that. I'm now under permanent doctor's orders to refrain from lifting any load greater than about 30-35 pounds or so. So, it's "hello Baers, goodbye Mesas..."

MM

14. showtimed23

showtimed23

what made you not try out the db112s?

15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Yikes!

The Mesas are heavy. I ended up just carrying one per trip, vs one in each hand with gs112s or something lighter. It did annoy me, but they sounded amazing.