1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Aguilar DB680 Technical question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by djshawn47, Mar 4, 2004.

1. djshawn47

djshawn47

Im trying to understand the Parametric EQ on my DB680 and need help.

I understand that the first set of knobs are for frequency sweeps for low to high mids and for high mids to highs and the second set of knobs are for cut and boost.......

but what are the bandwith knobs for???

would someone explain in laymans terms....and tell me how this affects the sound or tone????

Ive read the manual several times and fiddled with the knobs but i cant figure it out.....
  2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree Supporting Member

The bandwidth surrounds the frequency selected for boost or cut. If you saw bandwidth on a graph it would look like a symmetrical hill with the frequency you select in the middle. This knob makes the hill surrounding the frequency selected either wide or narrow. Narrow bandwidth gives boost/cut in a range closer to the frequency selected and vice versa with wide bandwidth. I cant really describe how that changes the sound though.
  3. jdombrow

jdombrow

Another try. Let's say you selected 1.5 khz with the frequency control.

If you turn the bandwidth control fully clockwise, you would be cutting to boosting the only 1.5 khz frequency.

If you turn the bandwidth control fully clockwise, you would might cutting to boosting from 1.2 khz to 1.8 khz (a wider frequency range surrounding the selected frequency.

I don't know the exact specs on this, so I'm just giving you an example of narrow vs. wide bandwidth.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator

to add to all the good stuff already said...

To generalise... you'll use a wider bandwidth to boost, and a narrower bandwidth to cut (i.e. for slap or to get rid of some pesky mid frequencies in a troublesome room)
  5. Vin_MM_Sabre_79

Vin_MM_Sabre_79

Well done. Its a bit like trying to describe a spiral staircase without using your hands.