1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

AGUILAR DB680 USERS - INFO PLEASE

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by funkydanbass, Sep 16, 2007.

1. funkydanbass

funkydanbass Supporting Member

Hi all,

I really want a 2 channel amp so I can run my fretted and fretless basses with different EQ's at gigs.

I was originally looking at the Eden WT1205, but due to total un-availability in Australia, am searching for alternatives.

So, the Aggie DB680 is a dual channel head right?
    How do users of this amp find its tonal flexibility?

I play Fodera fretted basses and an F-Bass AC6 fretless. Alot of my playing is in a Dave Matthews style accoustic rock band.
    I like clarity, but not sterile hi fi. I want a bit of depth, and weight but not Ampeg flavour wooliness....

What power amp's do people run with this? (Considering the 728 is discontinued??

Any advice and experience with this rig would be appreciated?

Also anyone's cabinet suggestions.... I had always been a 410 kinda guy, but have recently considered a 2-10 plus 2-12 setup.

Thanks in advance.

Dan.
  2. afroman

afroman

The Db680 is a PRE-AMP. You can plug one bass to each input but you need a power amp to produce the sound. The 680 is highly regarded as a very versatile, warm and clean sounding preamp for live and recording use.
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I run mine with a qsc/plx 2402.
    It's a great preamp, and it is two channels..but! you can't save two sets of eq and "stompbox" between them.
    There's two switchable inputs, but not two redundant channels, as such.
  4. funkydanbass

Cool, what's the word on power amps?

I.e: Brands, how they affect tone, types??

I am very new to the seperate pre and power amp set up...

Cheers,

Dan.
  5. afroman

afroman

Don't worry Dan.

Well preamp/poweramp setups are very popular around here. You can get more power and portability for equal or less money than high-powered rackmountable bass amp. In the future if you want to change the pre or power you just replace that unit and not the whole thing as you would with a regular amp.

Power amps are abunbdant. I would recommend the QSC PLX amps. Very lightweight, reliable and compact. Crowns are also at the top of the line.

Good luck!
  6. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

a good Poweramp won't color your tone at all, or at least, thats the idea anyways...
  7. WovenGraphite

WovenGraphite

Don't look at the DB680 for that. It has 2 channels but the preamp path is the same... you can use it to switch basses, yes, but they would have the same eq.

Please do a search, this has been talked about many times.

I play an AC-6 through this head... so far, my eq is pretty much flat but for a bit more low freq... frankly, that bass can be recorded direct!

I am using the 728 but it is not mandatory. I love the tubey sound.

Among others, see this thread

But frankly do a search you'll find way more answers... plus it's fun to discover stuff as you go... :smug:
  8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Why not use something like a Radial Bassbone to switch EQ between basses?
  9. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification

Disclosures:
    President: Aguilar Amplification

True, true....:) I saw this thread today and thought I should jump in. We are in the process of redesigning the DB 680. The last few of the current version have been shipped to dealers.
    Of the last two I'm giving one to my friend (and the guy who really runs Aguilar), Dave Avenius and one to my friend and wonderful bassist, Jack Casady, who loves the DB 680.

In a few months we will have a new version available. Our idea is too keep the tone; but to change some of the more idosyncratic (sp?) features.

Dave B.
  10. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey Dave;
    Don't change it much, at least not sonically: it's awesome as is that way.
    If you care to explain what you're up to, I'd love a pm or post.
    If you need a test mule, I'd be glad to help there too!
  11. Lockout

Lockout

:hyper:

Any hints on what sorts of things are being changed?
  12. afroman

afroman

When one thinks that GAS is over, here comes Dave B!:D

Kidding aside, I really love your company and products Dave B. I got a chance to visit you guys and meet with Dave A. last year.

I appreciate your company's craftmanship and support to me and my band.

Care to elaborate on the new DB680??
  13. Bass Clef

Bass Clef

Hey Dan,

You may want to check out an iamp800. I've got one which I use with fretted and frettless basses. What I do is use the presets for my fretted bass and do minor tweaking on the bass. When I swap over to my frettless I switch-out of the presets and into the Parametric EQ' section. Both these sections run independently to each other. Almost works like a 2 channel setup. I have no problems running it like this. I also have a pair of EA NL210s which is a great 210 box. This whole setup gives me the sort of tone you're looking for. Its very clear articulate, and fairly warm for a SS head. The iamps give you a wide and deep frequency response and stays very clean, even when cranked. Note definition is very accurate and with the beautiful basses you've got you really want an amp which is going to let you hear what those basses sound like without too much amp colour added. This is what the iamps are good at. You can checkem out at Bass Gear Direct in Sydney. www.bassgeardirect.com.au

BC.
  14. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Dave B, any new power amps coming out?
  15. funkydanbass

Thanks for your feedback. Would be great to hear about the changes to the DB680 Dave B!?!?!?
  16. alfredpunkjazz

alfredpunkjazz

+1!!!!

I want to know more about Aguilar! :D

:hyper:

:bassist: